This Saturday is Chinese New Year and we welcome in the year of the rooster. In Manchester we have such a big Chinese community, and there’s always a parade on to celebrate that I love to watch (if the January weather behaves itself!) Chinese food is one of my favourite cuisines, I’ve been lucky enough to visit China and Hong Kong several times and been able to sample a huge variety of food there. Chinese takeaway here is of course very tasty, but it’s not the most healthy option. So, I’ve had a look around some of my favourite blogs and gathered together a selection of healthy recipes, including lots of vegetarian and vegan options, for you to make and enjoy this Chinese New Year. Please do let the bloggers know on social media if you make their recipes!
1. Asian Kale, Noodle & Coconut Broth by Foodie Quine
Full of fresh and easy to find ingredients, this delicious broth is hearty, healthy and filling.
2. Miso Udon Noodle Soup by Sneaky Veg
This miso soup is a hearty lunch or a tasty starter to a Chinese banquet.
3. Crispy Glazed Tofu with Honey, Chilli & Ginger by De Tout Coeur Limousin
Tofu gets a bad rap, but if it’s cooked correctly like in this flavour filled recipe it’s a taste sensation.
4. Vegetable Tempura by Amuse Your Bouche
I’m not sure if this is strictly Chinese, but I adore tempura and I always order it whenever it’s on the menu, it’s also a much lighter way of deep frying.
5. Special Egg Fried Rice by Feeding Boys
An easy to make and customisable recipe, great as a side or a weeknight meal.
6. Spiralized Oriental Courgette-Noodle Soup by The Gluten Free Alchemist
A fresh low carb option if you want to enjoy some asian flavours whilst still sticking to your January health kick.
7. Sweet Chilli Salmon Stir Fry Noodle Bowl by Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
This is a healthy recipe packed with veggies and protein, that creates a beautiful rainbow of colour on your plate!
8. Chinese Chipshop Curry by Jam & Clotted Cream
A homemade alternative to the takeaway means you know exactly what’s going into your food, and this gently spiced recipe is great for all the family.
9. Quorn Beef Style Teriyaki by Planet Veggie
Marinated quorn is the star of this dish adding lots of asian flavour.
10. Spicy Tenderstem & Peanut Noodle Stir Fry by Wallflower Kitchen
A simple comforting recipe that’s vegetarian and vegan friendly, it’s sure to warm you up on a cold January night.
11. Fiery Vegetarian Dan Dan Noodles by Eats Well With Others
For all the spice lovers out there, this recipe is for you!
12. Chow Mein Noodles Takeaway Style by Fork And Good
Another great recipe to satisfy your takeaway urge! Easy to make with minimum clean up required.
13. Fortune Cookies by Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen
Of course you don’t have to use the cookies to ask the ultimate romantic question, Charlotte also suggests you fill them with sweets for the kids, or the big kids!
14. Chocolate Coconut Mango Mousse Ice Lollies by Farmersgirl Kitchen
Although this isn’t strictly a Chinese recipe, mango and coconut are very popular ingredients in Chinese desserts so I think they’d make a great dessert for Chinese New Year party.
15. Vegan Mango, Lime & Coconut Cheesecakes by Spamellab
Another dessert with Asian flavour, it’s vegan friendly and made with coconut milk and would make a refreshing end to a spicy meal.
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: Check on Amazon