I don’t know about you, but I love a good cleaning tip for my kitchen. I’m always in there baking, cooking or eating! So keeping it clean and tidy is important. I’ve had a search around the web and gathered together my top 10 kitchen cleaning hacks for keeping your kitchen sparkling clean! I’ve tried to find tips that fit with a baker’s kitchen habits and kitchen supplies.
1. Dry out metal cookie cutters in the oven (source)
To avoid rusty cookie cutters, wash them promptly, then get them fully dry in a warm oven that has just been turned off. This is such a great tip that I will definitely be using.
2. Use flour to shine up steel and copper (source)
Put some dry flour on a cloth rag and buff away at your sink or stainless steel appliances. Rinse off when done. For copper, mix equal parts flour, salt and white vinegar to make a paste. Apply the paste to the copper, and buff off when dry. Enjoy your shiny kitchen!
3. Use foil to clean glass bakeware (source)
Scrunch up some foil into a ball, add some hot water and washing up liquid and scrub the bakeware clean with the foil. Perfect for getting dried on food off.
4. Make your house smell like vanilla (source)
If you’re having friends over or trying to sell your house, clean your oven as normal, then add a few drops of vanilla extract to a cloth and rub it down all over. When you turn it on the scent will make your house smell amazing!
5. Use baking soda to unblock your sink (source)
It’s not just for making your cakes rise! Pour about 120g of baking soda down the drain and 120ml of vinegar and it will de-clog your sink.
6. Put citrus fruit peel in your bin (source)
Add a few strips of lemon or orange to your bin to mask bad smells. Cut segments of citrus fruits work too as I do this a lot!
7. Keep bugs out of your food (source)
Mites can be a problem when storing flour, keep them at bay (literally!) by taping whole dried bay leaves to your shelves.
8. Clean up sticky dough after making bread (source)
This is such a nightmare as it gets so sticky. Remove any residual dough. Soak your bowl and other utensils in cool soapy water, not hot water, for 15 minutes. Remove further loose dough and throw it in the bin, otherwise it will clog your sink. Then wash again in cool water and finish with a hot water rinse.
9. Use cling film to avoid cleaning up (a tip from me!)
Cover your work surface with cling film before rolling out pastry, kneading dough or fondant icing. Not only does it make it easier to lift the rolled out pastry or fondant, but it saves on cleaning your work surface!
10. Cleaning a pot after making fudge or toffee (source)
Fill the pot with water and put it back on the stove to simmer. This will melt any sugar stuck to the pot and save you from doing any scrubbing.
To help you keep your kitchen shiny and clean, I’m giving away a Dettol product bundle which includes:
– 1x Dettol Power and Pure Kitchen Trigger Spray (Oxygen Splash)
– 1x Dettol Power and Fresh Multi-purpose Spray (Crisp Linen and Aqua Sky)
– 1x Dettol Power and Pure Bathroom Wipes
– 1x Dettol No-Touch Handwash (Citrus)
Enter via the Rafflecopter below.