Lemon & Blueberry is such a classic combination, it's always been one of my favourites. I love using up leftover blueberries by putting them in cupcakes, sometimes I don't even bother icing them, they're just great warm from the oven! Theses Lemon & Blueberry Cupcakes are packed with juicy blueberries and decorated with a zingy lemon buttercream for extra decadence. They would be great for afternoon tea, a party or a baby shower!
Step by step...
For the sponge, I creamed the butter, sugar and lemon zest together. Next whisked in the eggs and milk, and then I whisked in the self raising flour.
I divided the batter between 12 cupcakes cases and added fresh blueberries to each cake. They baked for 20-25 minutes until golden.
I made the lemon buttercream by mixing together icing sugar, butter and lemon extract. Once I piped it onto the cupcakes I then topped them with fresh blueberries and lemon zest for decoration.
I love how fresh and bright the Lemon & Blueberry Cupcakes look! And the juicy blueberries and zesty lemon are just perfect together.
I served these Lemon & Blueberry Cupcakes at my baby shower and my friends loved them!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Cupcake tin||Electric hand mixer||Piping bags|
|Zester||Lemon extract||Ateco 829 piping nozzle|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More lemon and blueberry recipes...
|Lemon & Blueberry Cookies||Lemon & Blueberry Blondies||Lemon & Blueberry Loaf Cake|
Lemon & Blueberry Cupcakes
For the sponge
- 175 g Butter or baking spread
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 1 Lemon zest only
- 3 Eggs large
- 175 g Self raising flour
- 150 g Blueberries (about 4 per cupcake)
For the buttercream
- 200 g Butter or Baking spread
- 400 g Icing sugar
- 2 tsp Lemon extract
- Lemon zest optional
- 50 g Blueberries (about 3 per cupcake)
- Pre heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a muffin tin with cupcake cases
- Cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs and whisk in
- Add the self raising flour and whisk in
- Divide the mixture between the cupcakes cases, then add 4 blueberries to each cupcake and press them into the batter
- Bake them for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Put them on a rack to cool completely
- To make the buttercream mix together the icing sugar and butter using an electric hand whisk or food mixer until they start to come together, then add the lemon extract and mix until smooth
- Put the buttercream into a large piping bag fitted with a nozzle of your choice and pipe it onto the cupcakes
- Add blueberries and lemon zest to decorate
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place, eat leftovers within 3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cupcake recipes!
Pin for later!