My last Bake Box of the year arrived last week and I knew it would inspire me to get baking some Christmas themed treats! I love these Syllabub Star Cups filled with a lemon cream and topped with berries, they are so easy to make and they would be a fabulous sweet canape for your Christmas parties and gatherings! If you want to know more about Bake Box check out my other posts where I made a Cherry Traybake and a Midnight Blue Velvet Cake.
There were six delicious looking recipes included with the Bake Box and I decided to make the Syllabub Star Cups as they looked so pretty and it gave me a chance to try out the silicone moulds. My boyfriend’s family were also visiting and I thought they would make a great dessert.
Step by step…
I started by melting dark chocolate and spooning it into each mould. I used a small clean paintbrush (I have one I use for food only) to brush the chocolate up the sides of each mould.
Then I put the chocolate in the fridge to set, which didn’t take very long, and easily peeled off the silicone moulds.
To make the lemon syllabub filling I whipped together icing sugar, double cream and the zest and juice of half a lemon.
I piped the cream into each chocolate cup using a piping bag with the end snipped off.
I got some mint leaves, and chose several small ones. Then I tipped out some frozen berries to choose from. The recipe suggested warming up the berries and making a compote, but I decided to put the frozen ones directly on the cream then let them defrost in the fridge so I could get them out when it was time for dessert.
I put a larger berry like a raspberry, blackberry or cherry into each cup, then surrounded that with the smaller redcurrants and blackcurrants. Finally I added a mint leaf and a dusting of icing sugar. These make such a tasty and easy dessert, and any guests you have over Christmas will be sure to enjoy them! You can even easily adapt them for any dairy free guests by filling them with a coconut cream.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Electric hand mixer||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Silicone star moulds|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
Syllabub Star Cups
- 150 g Dark chocolate
- 200 ml Double cream
- 2 tbsp (sieved) + more for dusting Icing sugar
- 1/2 a Lemon
- Mint leaves
- Frozen berries
- Melt the dark chocolate and spoon it into each mould. Use a small clean paintbrush to brush the chocolate up the sides of each mould
- Put the chocolate in the fridge to set, then peel off the silicone moulds
- To make the lemon syllabub filling whip together the 2 tbsp of icing sugar, double cream and the lemon
- Pipe the cream into each chocolate cup using a piping bag with the end snipped off
- Put a larger berry like a raspberry, blackberry or cherry into each cup, then surrounded that with smaller berries like redcurrants and blackcurrants. Finally add a mint leaf and a dusting of icing sugar
- Serve immediately, store leftovers in the fridge and eat within 2 days
Disclaimer: I am sent the Bake Box free of charge, all opinions are my own