I've seen unicorn themed food everywhere over the past few months and it inspired me to make this Unicorn Millionaire's Shortbread. As well as cakes and cupcakes featuring golden horns and glittering manes to look like the mythical creatures themselves, food decorated with candy pastel colours is also part of the trend. I've used pastel coloured candy melts and chocolate stars to give this delicious shortbread a magical appearance! It is buttery and melt in the mouth, the caramel is rich and gooey and the white chocolate is sweet and creamy. This Unicorn Millionaire's Shortbread would be great for a children's birthday party.
For the full recipe with measurements, head to the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to make Unicorn Millionaire's Shortbread
Start by making the shortbread layer. Mix together plain flour, butter and caster sugar. Press it into the bottom of a lined traybake tin until it is compact. Then bake it for 35 minutes until golden brown. Leave it in the tin and put it on a cooling rack to cool completely.
To make the caramel layer put butter, light brown sugar and condensed milk into a pan on a low heat. Once the sugar dissolves, turn the heat up and let the caramel bubble for 5 minutes whilst stirring constantly. Pour the caramel on top of the shortbread and put it in the fridge to set.
For the chocolate topping, melt the white chocolate, pink candy melts, blue candy melts and yellow candy melts in separate bowls. First pour the white chocolate over the caramel and smooth it out, then add blobs of the candy melts all over and use cocktails sticks to swirl them around. Add some white chocolate stars for an extra magical touch! After the chocolate is set, to slice up the bars run a knife under hot water to heat the blade. Gently press it onto the chocolate so it cuts through without cracking the chocolate.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
- Mixing bowls
- Traybake tin
- Cooling rack
- Kitchen scales
- Stand mixer
- Measuring spoons
- Blue food colouring
- Pink food colouring
- Yellow food colouring
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
Unicorn Millionaire's Shortbread
- 300 g Plain flour
- 265 g Butter
- 150 g Caster sugar
- 100 g Butter
- 100 g Light brown soft sugar
- 397 g Condensed milk
- 400 g White Chocolate
- 70 g Pink candy melts
- 70 g Blue candy melts
- 70 g Yellow candy melts
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- Star sprinkles optional
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/325F/Gas Mark 3. Line a 12" x 9" traybake tin with baking paper
- To make the shortbread layer, mix together the plain flour, butter and caster sugar and press it into the bottom of the tin until it is compact and level
- Bake it for 35 minutes until golden brown. Leave it in the tin and put it on a cooling rack to cool completely
- To make the caramel put the ingredients into a pan on a low heat. Once the sugar is dissolved, turn the heat up and let the caramel bubble for 5 minutes whilst stirring constantly. Do be careful as the caramel gets extremely hot!
- Pour the caramel on top of the shortbread and put it in the fridge to set
- Remove from the fridge and let it come to room temperature before adding the chocolate, otherwise it will set too fast and you won't be able to swirl the colours around
- Melt the chocolate and candy melts in separate bowls. Add 1 tsp of the vegetable oil to each candy melt bowl to make the mixtures smoother and easier to work with
- Pour the white chocolate over the caramel and smooth it out, then add blobs of the candy melts all over and use cocktails sticks to swirl them around. Add white chocolate stars or other sprinkles of your choice
- To slice up the shortbread, remove from the tin and place onto a chopping board. Run a sharp knife under hot water then gently press it onto the chocolate, it will melt through without cracking the chocolate. Please take care as the metal blades can get very hot