I'd heard of vegan key lime pies a while ago and I have wanted to try them out for ages. I finally got around to it last week; I made these vegan mini key lime pies and I was so pleased with the results! As the traditional key lime pie comes from America, I used pecans in the base because they make me think of American desserts. I added spinach and avocado to the filling to give it a green hue. I really wanted a creamy topping to compliment the zesty filling, so I used some whipped coconut milk. These mini key lime pies are 100% vegan and therefore dairy free, and they are also refined sugar free and gluten free.
Step by step...
To make the base I used my nutribullet to whizz up the almonds, pecans and dates.
I melted the coconut oil and mixed it into the nuts, then pressed the mixture into mini tart tins lined with cling film. Then I put them in the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
To make the filling I again used my nutribullet to whizz up the soaked cashews, avocado, maple syrup, lime juice, melted coconut oil and spinach. It was perfectly smooth and creamy.
I poured the filling into the tart cases, then put it back in the fridge for 1 hour to set.
My nutribullet came in handy again to whizz up the thick layer from two tins of coconut milk that had been in the fridge overnight, along with vanilla extract and maple syrup. I piped it onto the vegan mini key lime pies in rosettes and sprinkled some lime zest in the middle.
These vegan mini key lime pies taste so good! The flavour is the perfect balance between zesty lime flavour and creamy sweetness. They would make a great dessert at a dinner party. I love eating vegan desserts as they always taste so sinful, but really they are full of goodness!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Mini tart tins||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Food processor||NutriBullet|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
Vegan Mini Key Lime Pies
For the base
- 150 g Almonds
- 150 g Pecans
- 160 g Dates
- 90 g Coconut Oil melted
For the filling
- 70 g Coconut Oil melted
- 200 g Cashews soaked in water overnight
- 1 Avocado
- 6 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 7 Limes zested and juiced
- 1 Handful Fresh spinach
- 2 tins tins of Coconut milk stored in the fridge overnight
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp Maple Syrup
- Lime zest
- To make the base use a nutribullet or a food processor to whizz up the almonds, pecans and dates
- Mix in the melted coconut oil, then press the mixture into mini tart tins lined with cling film. Put them in the fridge for 30 minutes to set
- To make the filling use a nutribullet or a food processor to whizz up the cashews, avocado, maple syrup, the juice of the limes, the melted coconut oil and the spinach until perfectly smooth and creamy
- Pour the filling into the tart cases, then put them back in the fridge for at least 1 hour to set
- Use a nutribullet or a food processor to whizz up the solid white coconut milk from the top of the tins along with the vanilla extract and the maple syrup. Pipe or spread it onto the mini pies, then sprinkle some lime zest in the middle
- Store in the fridge until serving, they will last for up to 3 days