This post is sponsored by HelloFresh. All opinions are my own.
You are probably familiar with the meal box delivery service HelloFresh, who provide pre-portioned ingredients for a weekly subscription, so you can make a huge variety of delicious and healthy meals at home with no food waste. But did you know that they also have lots of their recipes available for free online? It's a great way to browse the kind of options you will get when you sign up to their service! Or try out some recipes at home! I decided to try out this Vegetarian Calzones recipe, if you've not had a calzone before, it's basically a pizza that has been folded in half. It kind of looks like a cornish pasty! These calzones are filled with juicy roasted vegetables like red pepper, cherry tomatoes and leek. Then there's plenty of mozzarella cheese for a perfectly gooey centre. They are a filling and tasty meal that is sure to be a hit with your family!
What you'll need...
To make the Vegetarian Calzones, you will need the following ingredients:
- Red onion - or you can substitute this with a white onion
- Red pepper - yellow or orange pepper would also work well
- Cherry tomatoes
- Tomato puree - or a pizza sauce if you prefer
- Mixed herbs - I used dried mixed herb, but if you have fresh thyme, oregano or basil they would be so tasty too
- Pizza dough - I use a ready rolled dough, you can also use a ready made one and roll it out, or make your own dough
- Mozzarella cheese
- A little flour for rolling out your dough
- Oil, salt and pepper for roasting the vegetables
Step by step...
Start by chopping and preparing the vegetables, toss them in a little oil and place on a lined baking tray, or in a roasting tin. Season with salt and pepper if you like, and roast for 20 minutes.
Prepare your pizza dough, then spread some tomato puree over it. Add roasted vegetables to half of the dough.
Next, add mozzarella cheese on top of the vegetables and sprinkle the herbs all over. Fold the dough over and seal with a little water and by folding the edges back on themselves. Use a knife or fork to make a couple of holes in the top to allow steam to escape. Bake them for 15 minutes.
Tips for making the Vegetarian Calzones:
- You can bake the calzones on a baking tray. If you have a pizza stone I recommend using it for an extra crispy base. Dust the baking paper underneath the calzone with some semolina or cornmeal to really up the crispyness factor!
- The mozzarella inside is amazing and so perfectly gooey, but you could add another cheese like cheddar for a stronger cheesy flavour if you like.
- I've provided the ingredients to serve two people, you can simply double them to feed a family of four. On the HelloFresh website, you can click a button on all of their recipes to increase or decrease the serving sizes - how handy is that!
- Other roasted veg like courgette, aubergine or butternut squash would also be amazing inside the calzones!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Baking trays||Pizza stone||Chopping board|
|Kitchen scales||Roasting tray|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
- 1 Red pepper
- 1 Red onion
- 1 Leek
- 250 g Cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Ready rolled pizza dough or you could make your own dough
- 30 g Tomato puree
- 1 tsp Mixed herbs dried, or fresh if you have them
- 270 g Mozzarella
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C Fan/220C/425F/Gas Mark 7. Put your baking tray or pizza stone in the oven to warm up
- Chop up the red pepper, red onion and leek into chunks, chop the cherry tomatoes in half. Toss the vegetables in the oil and place into a roasting tray. Season with salt and pepper if you like
- Roast the vegetables in the oven for 20 minutes
- When they are done, remove from the oven, and increase the oven temperature to 220C Fan/240C/475F/Gas Mark 9
- Prepare your pizza doughs, then spread the tomato puree over them both, leaving a 1cm gap around the edge
- Add the roasted vegetables to half of each pizza base, add the mozzarella on top, then sprinkle the herbs all over
- Use your finger to dab some water on the 1cm gap around the edge of the dough. Fold the uncovered half of dough over the fillings and press the edges together. Seal by folding the dough back on itself and using your fingers to press it together tightly
- Use a sharp knife or a fork to make a hole in the top of the calzone, this is to allow steam to escape in the oven
- Place the calzones on some baking paper dusted with semolina or cornmeal, then use the paper to help you transfer the calzone to the hot baking tray or pizza stone that has been warming up inside the oven. Bake for 15 minutes
- Serve immediately, enjoy with salad or potato wedges
If you like this, check out my Savoury recipes!
Pin it for later!