Now it’s September I’m fully in Autumn mode and I’m gearing up for Halloween and, dare I say it, Christmas! With that in mind I’m sharing this lovely warming Butternut Squash & Tomato Soup recipe. Soup is such a comforting food, it always makes me think of curling up with a hot bowl and slurping away. Sweet squash and tangy tomatoes are the perfect partners in this tasty soup that your whole family can enjoy. It’s naturally vegan and dairy free too. Plus it’s so easy to make and leftovers can be frozen!
Step by step…
To start I tossed the squash in oil and sage, then roasted it for 30 minutes until soft. Meanwhile I cooked some white onion in a little oil until soft.
To the onion I added chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, sugar and salt. I brought it to a simmer. Then I added the roasted squash and used my stick blender to puree the mixture.
You can serve the Butternut Squash & Tomato Soup straight away with some crusty bread or croutons, or let it cool then pop in some tupperware to have the next day for lunch, or freeze it for another day. It’s so yummy and comforting on a cold day!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Baking trays||Hand blender||Kitchen scales|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More soup recipes…
|Cheesy Leek & Potato Soup|
Butternut Squash & Tomato Soup
- 1 kg Butternut squash peeled and chopped
- 1-2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Dried sage
- 2 x 400g tins Chopped tomatoes
- 1 litre Vegetable stock
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C Fan/200C/400F/Gas Mark 6
- Prepare and toss the squash in little oil and with the sage, then roast it on a baking tray in the oven for 30 minutes until it is soft
- Meanwhile, cook the white onion in a little oil until soft, about 5 minutes
- To the onion add the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, sugar and salt. Bring it to a simmer for 10 minutes
- Then, take off the heat and add the roasted squash to the mixture. Use a stick blender to puree the mixture
- Serve immediately or allow to fully cool and store in the fridge or freezer for later
If you like this, check out more of my Savoury recipes!
Or you might like my Vegan recipes!
Pin for later!