Funfetti Birthday Cake is sometimes known as confetti cake, but I prefer the name funfetti because this cake really is so fun! It's made by mixing rainbow sprinkles into the cake batter which creates the effect. Then I've decorated it with more sprinkles on top! It's perfect for a party, and especially birthdays! I first made this Funfetti Birthday Cake for my birthday, which is why I've named it as such. It's flavour is simple vanilla, which is that classic flavour that everyone loves.
Step by step...
I made the sponge by creaming together butter and caster sugar. Then I added the eggs, two at a time, and mixed between each addition. I then added vanilla extract, and finally folded in self raising flour.
Then I added sprinkles!
I divided the mixture equally between the tins and baked the cakes for 35 minutes, then I left them to cool fully.
Next I made the buttercream by mixing butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract together until smooth.
On a plate I started stacking the layers and piping buttercream between each one.
I put on the final layer of sponge and smoothed icing all over the top using a palette knife to smooth it out.
Then I piped swirls around the edge and I filled the middle with more sprinkles!
The Funfetti Birthday Cake is so pretty when cut into! It has such a colourful and festive appearance. The bright rainbow colours of this Funfetti Birthday Cake are what make it stand out, and the light vanilla sponge and sweet vanilla buttercream give it lovely flavour.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|8" cake tins||Electric hand mixer||Piping bags|
|Round cake tin liners||Mixing bowls||Funfetti sprinkles|
|Cooling rack||Wilton 8B Piping nozzle||Kitchen scales|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More funfetti recipes...
|Funfetti Vanilla Cupcakes|
Funfetti Birthday Cake
For the cake
- 500 g Butter or baking spread
- 500 g Caster sugar
- 9 Eggs large
- 3 tsp Vanilla extract
- 500 g Self raising flour
- 75 g Sprinkles
For the buttercream
- 900 g Icing sugar
- 450 g Butter or baking spread
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 25 g Sprinkles
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and grease and line three 8" cake tins
- Mix together the butter and the caster sugar until smooth
- Add the eggs, two at a time, and mix between each addition
- Then add the vanilla extract, and whisk in the self raising flour
- Fold in the sprinkles
- Divide the mixture equally between the tins
- Bake the cakes for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the tins and leave them to fully cool on cooling racks
- To make the vanilla buttercream mix the butter and icing sugar together. Once it starts to come together add the vanilla extract and mix until smooth. I use my electric hand whisk to do this but you can also do it by hand with a spoon
- If the cakes have domed on top, level them off with a cake leveller or a serrated knife
- Stack the cake layes, piping or spreading buttercream between each layer
- On the final sponge, smooth icing over the top and smooth it out using a palette knife
- Then use a piping bag with a star nozzle to pipe swirls around the edge and fill the middle with more sprinkles!
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in a cool place for 2-3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cake recipes!
Pin it for later!