Funfetti is really a very simple concept - vanilla cake batter with rainbow sprinkles mixed into it and decorated with vanilla buttercream and more rainbow sprinkles. But yet every time I look at these Funfetti Vanilla Cupcakes they make me smile as they are so fun! There's something about rainbow sprinkles that brings back childhood memories and makes you feel happy from the inside out. You'll need to buy good quality sprinkles to make sure the colour stays bright and vivid after baking. You can get them from lots of different brands, the ones I used were from The Shire Bakery.
How to make Funfetti Vanilla Cupcakes
To make the sponge, mix together butter and caster sugar. Then add eggs and vanilla extract and mix them in. Next mix in self raising flour, then fold in rainbow sprinkles.
Divide the cupcake batter into cases, then bake them for 25 minutes.
Make a vanilla buttercream by mixing together butter, icing sugar, milk and vanilla extract, then pipe the buttercream onto each of the cupcakes. Decorate with more sprinkles!
Tips for making the Funfetti Vanilla Cupcakes:
- For the best natural vanilla flavour, make sure to use an extract and not an essence. My favourite brand is Nielsen Massey.
- The sprinkles I used are from The Shire Bakery
- These Funfetti Vanilla Cupcakes would be fantastic at a birthday party for someone of any age!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
- Cupcake tin
- Kitchen scales
- Electric hand mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Cooling rack
- Piping bags
- White cupcake cases
- Funfetti sprinkles
- Wilton 2D Piping nozzle
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More funfetti recipes...
Funfetti Vanilla Cupcakes
For the sponge
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 175 g Butter or baking spread I use Stork
- 3 Eggs large
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 175 g Self raising flour
- 35 g Sprinkles
For the buttercream
- 200 g Butter
- 400 g Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp Milk
- 2 tbsp Sprinkles
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases
- To make the sponge, mix together the butter and sugar, ideally using an electric mixer, until smooth
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and whisk well
- Then gently whisk in the self raising flour
- Fold in the sprinkles with a silicone spatula or a wooden spoon until evenly distributed
- Divide the mixture between the 12 cupcake cases
- Bake them for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool completely on a cooling rack
- Make the buttercream by mixing together the butter and icing sugar, then add the vanilla extract, and mix until smooth. You can do this by hand with a silicone or wooden spoon or with an electric whisk. You can add a little extra milk if it is too stiff
- Pipe the buttercream onto each cupcake using a piping bag fitted with a nozzle. Or spread on with a spoon
- Then add the sprinkles as decoration
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place, eat leftovers within 3 days