Funfetti is really a very simple concept - vanilla cake batter with rainbow sprinkles mixed into it and decorated with vanilla buttercream and more rainbow sprinkles. But yet every time I look at these Funfetti Vanilla Cupcakes they make me smile as they are so fun! There's something about rainbow sprinkles that brings back childhood memories and makes you feel happy from the inside out. You'll need to buy good quality sprinkles to make sure the colour stays bright and vivid after baking. You can get them from lots of different brands, the ones I used were from The Shire Bakery.
How to make Funfetti Vanilla Cupcakes...
To make the sponge I first mixed together the butter and caster sugar. Then I added the eggs and vanilla extract and mixed them in.
Next I mixed in self raising flour, and folded in the rainbow sprinkles.
I divided the cupcake batter into cases, then I baked them for 25 minutes.
While the cupcakes were cooling I made a vanilla buttercream by mixing together butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract, then I piped the buttercream onto each of the cupcakes.
To finish the Funfetti Vanilla Cupcakes I added lots of rainbow sprinkles on top!
These Funfetti Vanilla Cupcakes would be fantastic at a birthday party for someone of any age!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Cupcake tin||Electric hand mixer||Piping bags|
|White cupcake cases||Wilton 2D Piping nozzle||Funfetti sprinkles|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More funfetti recipes...
|Funfetti Birthday Cake|
For the sponge
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 175 g Butter or baking spread I use Stork
- 3 Eggs large
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 175 g Self raising flour
- 35 g Sprinkles
For the buttercream
- 200 g Butter
- 400 g Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Milk optional
- 2 tbsp Sprinkles
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases
- To make the sponge, mix together the butter and sugar, using a silicone or wooden spoon, or ideally an electric mixer, until smooth
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and whisk well
- Then gently whisk in the self raising flour
- Fold in the sprinkles with a silicone spatula or a wooden spoon until evenly distributed
- Divide the mixture between the 12 cupcake cases
- Bake them for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool completely on a cooling rack
- Make the buttercream by mixing together the butter and icing sugar, then add the vanilla extract, and mix until smooth. You can do this by hand with a silicone or wooden spoon or with an electric whisk. You may also need to add 1 tbsp milk if it is too stiff
- Pipe the buttercream onto each cupcake using a piping bag fitted with a nozzle. Or spread on with a spoon
- Then add the sprinkles as decoration
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place, eat leftovers within 3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cupcake recipes!
Pin for later!