I love baking things that surprise people and evoke questions like "how did you do that?!" These Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes are a great way to trick and delight your family and friends. They look exactly like mini ice creams, but in fact hidden inside the cone is cake and the 'ice cream' on top is buttercream! You'll be surprised at how easy they are to make too, it's just a normal cupcake recipe but you bake them inside the cones which are wrapped in foil to protect them in the oven. If you make sure to buy the ice cream cones with the flat bottoms they will stand upright for easy baking and displaying. Then your Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes will be ready for all your summer parties and events!
Step by step...
To start, I prepared the ice cream cones by cut out strips of foil and wrapping them around each cone. I placed my cones into a cupcake tin.
To make the cupcake batter I started by creaming together the butter and sugar, then I whisked in the eggs and vanilla extract.
Then I added the self raising flour and whisked until smooth.
I divided the mixture between the cones, and baked them for 25 minutes until golden.
For the buttercream I mixed the icing sugar and butter together, then added vanilla extract and whisked until smooth. I piped it onto the Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes using a star nozzle for the ice cream effect, then I added chocolate flake and sprinkles.
I really love the texture of the crunchy cone against the soft cake and the sweet buttercream. My boyfriend scoffed down a few of the Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes and my brother was a big fan too. As expected, I got plenty of questions about how I did it from my friends and colleagues!
Vanilla is always a winning flavour, but you could do a chocolate cupcake recipe instead, or add some lemon zest to the sponge. You could also add strawberry or chocolate sauce to decorate. There really is so many ways to be creative with this base recipe!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Cupcake tin||Electric hand mixer||Piping bags|
|Flake bar||Jem 1E Piping nozzle||Ice cream cones|
|Mixing bowls||Cooling rack||Kitchen scales|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
For the sponge
- 12 Flat bottomed ice cream cones
- 175 g Butter or baking spread
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 3 Eggs large
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 175 g Self raising flour
For the buttercream
- 200 g Butter or baking spread
- 400 g Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 4 Chocolate flakes, cut into thirds optional
- Sprinkles optional
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, cut out strips of foil and wrap them around the ice cream cone. You don't need to cover the bottom with foil. Place them into a cupcake tin
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar, using a silicone or wooden spoon, until smooth
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and whisk well
- Whisk in the self raising flour
- Divide the mixture between the 12 cones
- Bake them for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Carefully remove the foil and leave to cool completely, preferably on a cooling rack
- Make the buttercream by mixing together the butter and icing sugar, then add the vanilla extract and mix until smooth. You can do this by hand or with an electric whisk
- Pipe the buttercream onto each cupcake using a piping bag fitted with a nozzle. Or spread on with a spoon
- Insert a third of a chocolate flake into each one and add your choice of sprinkles, then get ready to surprise your family and friends!
If you like this, check out more of my Cupcake recipes!
Pin for later!