As much as I love cookies, sometime they can be a bit samey as they’re all usually chocolate based (not that there’s anything wrong with that!). I really wanted to create a recipe for some fresh and summery cookies with a lighter fruity flavour, and so these Lemon & Blueberry Cookies were born! They are flavoured with tangy lemon zest, there’s some oats in the mix for texture, and sweet fresh blueberries are dotted across each cookie. I’ve also drizzled them with a lemon juice icing for extra zing!
Step by step…
I started by creaming the butter and golden caster sugar together, then I added the egg, lemon zest and vanilla extract, and stirred them together. Next I mixed in the plain flour, oats and baking powder.
I spooned the mixture onto lined baking trays, then I added the blueberries. I pushed them into the batter and covered them. Either 3 or 4 blueberries will work fine as I tried both. You don’t want too many because the cookie will fall apart. They baked for 14 minutes until they were golden brown.
I made an icing by mixing together some of the lemon juice and icing sugar, I drizzled it over the fully cooled cookies.
The Lemon & Blueberry Cookies were such a hit with their fresh lemony flavour. And they looked so pretty too with the bursting blueberries and icing drizzle!
I only tried this recipe with fresh blueberries, but I am confident that dried blueberries would work equally well, and you could add more of them to each cookie too. My favourite are the fresh ones though!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Baking trays||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More lemon and blueberry recipes…
|Lemon & Blueberry Cupcakes||Lemon & Blueberry Blondies||Lemon & Blueberry Loaf Cake|
Lemon & Blueberry Cookies
For the cookies
- 125 g Butter or baking spread
- 200 g Golden caster sugar
- 1 Egg large
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Lemons zest only
- 50 g Oats
- 150 g Plain flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
For icing (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp Lemon juice
- 150 g Icing sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and line a few baking trays (or however many you own) with baking paper
- Cream the butter and golden caster sugar together in a large bowl using an electric whisk, or silicone spoon
- Add the egg, lemon zest and vanilla extract, and whisk them in
- Mix in the oats, plain flour and baking powder with a spoon
- Spoon blobs of the mixture onto your lined baking trays, then add 3 or 4 blueberries per cookie. Push them into the batter and cover them with batter. Leave space between the cookies as they will spread
- Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes until they are golden brown, leave them on the tray for 5 minutes before carefully removing and placing on racks to cool fully
- Make the icing by mixing the lemon juice and icing sugar together into a thick paste. Add the lemon juice a little at a time as you may not need it all. Once the cookies are fully cool drizzle it all over them
- The cookies are best served on the same day. They are still good for 2 days after, but they do go softer and more fragile because of the moisture from the blueberries
If you like this, check out more of my Cookie recipes!
Pin for later!