I am so obsessed with maple syrup, I absolutely adore the stuff. I mean obviously it’s sweet and delicious, but it’s origin also fascinates me because it comes out of a tree! Maple syrup is primarily produced in Quebec, Canada and all they do is drain the sap from the tree then reduce it to a syrup, so it involves very little processing to create the gorgeous golden liquid. Maple syrup is a type of sugar, but is much better for you than refined sugars as it is a natural product, has higher levels of antioxidants than other sugars and contains more minerals too like zinc and manganese. I mean, I don’t need an excuse to eat maple syrup, but it’s good to know! These Maple Pecan Squares combine it with buttery shortbread and pecans, and they are so easy to make.
Step by step…
To make the shortbread base, I mixed plain flour with golden caster sugar.
I added butter and mixed it in to make a soft dough. I pressed it into a lined square baking tin, pricked it all over with a fork and baked it on 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 for 20 minutes.
For the topping I mixed together egg, maple sugar, maple syrup and chopped pecans.
To make these Maple Pecan Squares I used maple sugar and maple syrup that my dad and stepmum brought me back from Canada recently. Maple syrup is easily obtained from supermarkets (make sure you buy maple syrup and not maple flavoured syrup), I’ve not seen maple sugar before in the shops so if you can’t find it just use light brown sugar instead.
I poured the topping over the cooked base and put it back in the over for 15 minutes.
I let it cool fully before removing from the tin and cutting into squares.
The Maple Pecan Squares were melt in the mouth, flavoured with delicious maple sweetness, and had a gentle crunch of pecans. I could easily have gobbled up several of these and I also enjoyed having one with vanilla ice cream (try it, you won’t regret it). I need to make another batch soon!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|8″ Square tin||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More pecan recipes…
|Pecan Pie Brownies||Salted Caramel & Pecan Baklava||White Chocolate & Pecan Spiced Cookies|
- 125 g Plain flour
- 70 g Golden caster sugar
- 115 g Butter
- 1 Egg large
- 70 g Maple sugar or light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp Maple syrup
- 60 g Chopped pecans
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and grease and line an 8" square tin
- To make the shortbread base mix the plain flour with the golden caster sugar
- Add the butter and mix to make a soft dough. Press it into the tin, prick it all over with a fork and bake for 20 minutes
- For the topping mix together the egg, maple sugar, maple syrup and chopped pecans
- Pour the topping over the cooked base and put it back in the over for 15 minutes
- Let it cool fully before removing from the tin and cutting into squares
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place nd eat within 3 days
Recipe adapted from All Recipes.