I really love mince pies and finding new ways to eat mincemeat is definitely high on my list of priorities in December! This Vegan Mincemeat Plait certainly fits the bill. My favourite kind of mincemeat is the luxury versions that are laced with brandy and/or port, as they give it that intense richness. I've never made my own mincemeat as I really think you can buy such good quality tasting versions in the shops. If you love mincemeat as much as I do, you'll also love my Mince Pie Cupcakes With Brandy Buttercream and my Mince Pie Bakewell Squares.
I've been kindly given a subscription to Vegetarian Living Magazine by PocketMags and I found this recipe for a Vegan Mincemeat Plait inside. I was immediately drawn to it, plus I had some fast action yeast to use up. Bread isn't something I make often as it can be time consuming, but this recipe is quick enough to make in an evening.
For the full recipe with measurements, head to the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to make Vegan Mincemeat Plait
Start by putting strong white bread flour, salt and fast action yeast into a bowl, making sure to keep the salt and yeast separate, then mix everything together. Warm up almond milk in a pan with light brown sugar and vanilla extract. Then whisk in olive oil. Mix the flour and milk mixture together to make a dough, then knead it for 6 minutes in a food mixer fitted with a dough hook. Then put the dough into an oiled bowl, cover it and leave it to rise for 30 minutes.
Flour a silicone mat, I love my Joseph Joseph Roll Up Non-Slip Silicone Pastry Mat, and roll the dough out in a rectangular shape. Melt dairy free margarine and brush it all over the dough, then sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon and dark brown sugar all over it. Then spread the mincemeat over the dough.
Roll the dough into a sausage shape, cut it in half lengthways, attach it at the top then twist the two halves together. Place it on a lined baking tray and bake for 15 minutes. Then make a glaze from icing sugar, vanilla extract and almond milk. As soon as the Vegan Mincemeat Plait comes out of the oven, cover it in the glaze then leave it to cool.
This Vegan Mincemeat Plait was so yummy, the glaze on top sounds so simple but it's incredibly delicious! I'm not a vegan, but it's great to learn an easy vegan friendly recipe for the festive season that tastes amazing and will cater for friends who follow a vegan diet. Also it feels like a much healthier recipe as it doesn't use any butter or other high fat dairy products.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Fast action yeast
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More mince pie recipes...
For the dough
- 200 g Strong White Bread Flour
- A Pinch of Salt
- 7 g sachet Fast action dried yeast
- ½ tbsp Light brown sugar
- 200 ml Almond milk
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
For the filling
- 2 tbsp Dairy free margarine
- 2 tbsp Dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Ground cinnamon
- 200 g Mincemeat
For the glaze
- 50 g Icing sugar
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ tbsp Almond milk
- Put the strong white bread flour, salt and fast action yeast into a bowl, making sure to keep the salt and yeast on separate sides of the bowl, then mix it all together
- Warm the almond milk in a pan with the light brown sugar and the vanilla extract. Only let it get hot enough so you can still hold your finger in it. Then whisk in the olive oil
- In a food mixer fitted with a dough hook mix the flour and milk mixtures together for 6 minutes. Then put the dough into an oiled bowl, cover it and leave it to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C Fan/425F/Gas Mark 7
- Flour your work surface and roll the dough out in a rectangular shape. In a bowl mix together the ground cinnamon and dark brown sugar
- Melt the margarine and brushit all over the dough, then sprinkle the cinnamon mixture all over it
- Spread the mincemeat over the dough. Roll the dough into a sausage shape, cut it in half lengthways, attach it at the top then twist the two halves together. Place it on a lined baking tray and bake for 15 minutes
- While it's baking make a glaze from the icing sugar, vanilla extract and almond milk. Mix them together in a bowl until smooth
- As soon as the plait comes out of the oven, cover it in the glaze then leave it to cool. Slice to serve
If you like this, check out more of my Bread recipes!
Or you might like to explore my Vegan recipes!
NB. I have received the subscription to Vegetarian Living Magazine and the Joseph Joseph product free of charge, all opinions are my own.