I am a huge fan of Mince Pies and I’ve made Mince Pie Cupcakes with Brandy Buttercream several times now around Christmas, and they always go down well. Of course the next step in my mind was to go bigger and make this Mince Pie Cake. It’s made up of three layers of spiced sponge, a luxurious brandy infused buttercream, mince pie filling and mini mince pies on top! Calling all mince pie lovers – this is the cake for you!
How to make Mince Pie Cake…
To make the sponge I first creamed together butter and caster sugar. I then added eggs and mixed in well.
Then I folded in self raising flour and mixed spice, and divided the mixture into the tins. They baked for about 25 minutes until golden brown. I made the brandy buttercream using icing sugar, butter and brandy.
When the sponges were cool I levelled them off with a knife.
I started to stack the cake, piping buttercream on each layer and topping with a luxury mincemeat, laced with port and brandy, and packed with fruit. Of course you can use home made mincemeat if you have some.
I piped buttercream rosettes on top and decorated with mini mince pies! I also added some sprinkles for extra festive fun!
The Mince Pie Cake is definitely enough to feed a hungry family, or group of friends around Christmas time.
I had a lot of compliments on the Mince Pie Cake, and I was really pleased with it too. It’s a fantastic Christmas treat!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|8″ cake tins||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Piping bags||Round cake tin liners|
|Electric hand mixer||Cake leveller||Jem 1E Piping nozzle|
|Wilton 2D Piping nozzle||Mixed spice|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More mince pie recipes…
|Mince Pie Bakewell Squares||Mince Pie Cupcakes||Mincemeat Plait|
|Mince Pie Stuffed Cookies|
For the sponge
- 500 g Butter or baking spread
- 500 g Caster sugar
- 9 Eggs large
- 3 tsp Mixed spice
- 500 g Self raising flour
For the filling
- 1 jar Mincemeat
For the buttercream
- 350 g Butter
- 700 g Icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Brandy or more depending on how stiff the buttercream is
- 8 Mini mince pies optional
- Sprinkles optional
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, grease and line three 8" cake tins
- For the sponge, cream together the butter and the caster sugar in a large bowl with a spoon until fluffy, or mix using an electric mixer
- Add the eggs and whisk in well
- Add the self raising flour and whisk in until you can't see any flour anymore
- Divide the mixture between the tins, use scales for accuracy
- Bake them for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave them to fully cool either in the tins or on cooling racks
- If the cakes have domed on top, level them off with a cake leveller or knife
- Make the brandy buttercream by mixing the icing sugar, butter and brandy together until smooth. Put into a piping bag with your chosen nozzle
- Put one of the sponges on a cake stand or a serving plate, pipe buttercream all over the sponge, then spoon mincemeat over it. Add the second sponge on top and do the same
- Add the final sponge and pipe larger rosettes, top with the mini mince pies if using and sprinkles
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in a cool place for 2-3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cake recipes!
Or check out my Christmas recipes!
Pin for later!