I adore mince pies at Christmas time, and as soon as I see them in the shops I buy a box! I've seen different versions of Mince Pie Cupcakes, from other bloggers and from recipe websites. Some have had the mincemeat mixed into the batter, and others in the centre of the cupcakes. So I knew I had to make my own version. I decided to put a luxury mincemeat laced with brandy and port in the centre of a spiced sponge, and lavish it with brandy buttercream. A delicious luxury Christmas treat!
How to make Mince Pie Cupcakes...
To make the sponge I creamed together butter and golden caster sugar. Then I add eggs and whisked in.
Next I mixed in self raising flour and mixed spice. Then I divided it between paper cases.
I baked them for 20 minutes, until they were golden brown. Then I left them to cool completely.
I cut out the centre from the cakes with a cupcake corer. And I filled them up with a luxury mincemeat that was laced with brandy and port.
I made the buttercream by mixing icing sugar, butter and brandy together. Gosh it tasted good! Brandy is delicious stuff! Then I piped the icing onto the cupcakes, and added sprinkles and edible glitter too.
Tips for making the Mince Pie Cupcakes:
- You can freeze the cupcakes undecorated, wrap them well or place in a suitable container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- If you want to make the cupcakes child friendly, use 1-2 tsp (depending on strength) of almond extract or vanilla extract in the buttercream instead of the brandy. And use an alcohol free mincemeat for the filling.
- I used a Jem 1E piping nozzle to pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes and the gold star sprinkles were from Tesco.
Any mince pie fan will adore these cupcakes and devour them quickly! They'd be perfect for a Christmas party or buffet.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Cupcake tin||Electric hand mixer||Piping bags|
|White cupcake cases||Jem 1E Piping nozzle||Wilton 2D Piping nozzle|
|Cupcake corer||Mixed spice||Gold star sprinkles|
|Edible glitter spray|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More mince pie recipes...
|Mince Pie Bakewell Squares||Mince Pie Cake||Vegan Mincemeat Plait|
|Mince Pie Stuffed Cookies|
Mince Pie Cupcakes with Brandy Buttercream
For the sponge
- 175 g Butter or baking spread
- 175 g Golden caster sugar
- 3 Eggs large
- 1 tsp Mixed spice
- 175 g Self raising flour
For the buttercream & filling
- 200 g Mincemeat
- 200 g Butter or baking spread
- 400 g Icing sugar
- 2 tbsp Brandy
- Sprinkles optional
- Edible glitter optional
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a cupcake tin with paper cases
- To make the cupcake sponge, cream together the butter and the sugar until smooth
- Add the eggs and mix well with a whisk
- Then whisk in the self raising flour and mixed spice
- Divide the mixture between the cupcakes cases, and bake them for 20-25 minutes until then are golden brown. Put them on a rack to cool completely
- Cut out the middle of each cupcake using a cupcake corer or a sharp knife
- Fill each hole with the mincemeat
- To make the buttercream, mix together the butter and icing sugar with a spoon or electric hand whisk, when it starts to come together, add the brandy and mix until smooth. If the buttercream is too stiff then you can add some milk to it
- Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes using a star nozzle and piping bag. Or spread on with a spoon
- Add sprinkle and edible glitter if you like
- Keep in a cool place in an airtight container, and eat leftovers within 3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cupcake recipes!
Pin for later!