Chocolate and mint are a well loved combination, and these Mint Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies take the flavours to a festive place by adding crushed candy canes. I've made the cookies extra chocolatey with chocolate chips in the cookie dough, and then I've dipped half of the cookie in dark chocolate. I went for dark chocolate because I love the way it contrasts against the white, red and green of the candy canes, but you can use milk chocolate instead if you prefer. They're also a really easy cookie recipe to make and don't take much effort, even the decoration is simple too. These Mint Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies would make great gifts for family and friends at Christmas time!
How to make Mint Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies...
I started by mixing the butter and caster sugar together, then I added egg and peppermint extract. Next I mixed in cocoa powder, plain flour and baking powder. I also added some chocolate chips!
I used a spoon to scoop little blobs of the mixture onto lined baking trays. They baked for 12-14 minutes, I left them to cool completely.
To decorate I melted the dark chocolate and dipped half of the cookies into it, then I sprinkled crushed candy cane onto the wet chocolate so it stuck.
The Mint Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies were extremely popular with my colleagues - they all disappeared in 30 minutes! I loved the mint chocolate flavour and the crunchy texture of the candy canes with the soft baked cookie dough - divine!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Baking trays||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Candy canes||Peppermint extract|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Candy Cane recipes...
|Candy Cane Cheesecake (No Bake)|
Candy Cane Cookies
For the cookies
- 125 g Butter or baking spread
- 200 g Caster sugar
- 1 Egg large
- 1 tsp Peppermint extract
- 160 g Plain flour
- 40 g Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 60 g Chocolate chips
- 175 g Dark chocolate melted
- 3 Candy canes crushed
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and line a few baking trays (or however many you own) with baking paper
- Mix the butter and caster sugar together with a spoon in a large bowl until smooth and fluffy
- Add the egg and peppermint extract, and mix them in
- Mix in the plain flour, cocoa powder and baking powder
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Spoon blobs of the mixture onto your lined baking trays, leave space between the cookies as they will spread
- Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes, leave them on the tray for 5 minutes before carefully removing and placing on racks to cool fully
- Once the cookies are fully cool, lay out a piece of baking paper on the worktop. Dip half of each cookie into the melted dark chocolate and place on the baking paper
- Sprinkle some crushed candy cane on the chocolate while it is still wet so it sticks, then leave the chocolate to set
- Store in an airtight container and eat within 3 days. They also be frozen
If you like this, check out more of my Cookie recipes!
Or you can check out my Christmas recipes!
Pin for later!