I am a cheese addict, I probably eat it every day in one form or another. One of my favourite ways to enjoy cheese is in a sandwich with pickle; the creamy cheese against the sour pickle creates an explosion of flavour that I just can't resist! A friend of mine gifted me some homemade onion chutney at Christmas and I've had the idea to combine it with cheese in a bread for ages, and I finally found the time to make this Onion Chutney & Cheese Swirl Bread. Of course you can use shop bought chutney if you prefer!
Step by step...
To make the dough I stirred together the flour, yeast and salt. Then I added the water and oil and brought it together into a dough, then I kneaded it for 5 minutes in my stand mixer with the dough hook attachment. I left it to rise for 1 hour in a warm place.
I rolled the dough out onto a floured surface into a rectangle shape. Then I spread the whole jar of onion chutney out all over the dough.
Then I sprinkled over the cheese - I used mature cheddar.
I rolled the doll up into a sausage shape, then sliced it into rolls and arranged them in a lined traybake tin. I left them to rise again in a warm place for 30 minutes.
Then I brushed them with olive oil and sprinkled over the remaining cheese. I baked them for 25 minutes until golden all over. As the chutney has sugar in it, it did darken quite a lot, but it didn't affect the taste at all.
This Onion Chutney & Cheese Swirl Bread was so delicious! The tangyness of the onion chutney comes out strongly and every bite is packed with flavour. The bread baked beautifully and was really soft and springy.
We really enjoyed eating this Onion Chutney & Cheese Swirl Bread with soup, and also as a cheeky snack!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Traybake tin||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Rolling pin||Metal dough scraper|
|Silicone mat||Fast action yeast||Cheese grater|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
Onion Chutney & Cheese Swirl Bread
- 500 g Strong white flour plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp Salt
- 7 g Sachet fast action yeast
- 1 tbsp Olive oil plus more for glazing
- 300 ml Luke warm water
- 200 g Jar of onion chutney
- 100 g Mature cheddar grated
- To make the dough put the flour, yeast and salt into a mixing bowl - make sure to put the salt and yeast on seperate sides of the bowl
- Add the water and oil and bring it together into a dough, then knead it for 5 minutes in a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment, or for 10 minutes by hand
- Put the dough into an oiled bowl and cover with cling film. Leave it to rise for 1 hour in a warm place
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface into a rectangle shape approx 40cm long by 30cm wide
- Spread the whole jar of onion chutney out all over the dough
- Sprinkled over the cheese - leave about a quarter in the bowl for later
- Roll the doll up into a sausage shape, then sliced it into rolls and arrange them in a lined 12" x 9" traybake tin
- Leave them to rise again in a warm place for 30 minutes, meanwhile pre-heat your oven to 200C Fan/220C/425F/Gas Mark 7
- Brush them with olive oil and sprinkle over the remaining cheese
- Bake them for 25 minutes until golden all over. As the chutney has sugar in it, it will darken, but don't worry it's not burnt!
- Enjoy warm from the oven, or leave to cool. Serve with salad or soup
If you like this, check out more of my Bread recipes!
Pin for later!