It's nearly Pancake Day and I've really been enjoying testing out new pancake recipe ideas in preparation, if you haven't already, check out my Oreo Pancakes with Raspberries & Creme Fraiche recipe. Today I bring you these Pancakes with Caramelised Bananas & Homemade Nutella. Nutella is amazing stuff, but it has been getting a bad rep recently due to the high sugar levels and the fact it contains palm oil. I can't say I'll never eat or bake with it again, but it's certainly made me more aware of what's in it. I was so impressed with how good this homemade 'nutella' tasted! I'll definitely make it again, and it tasted great with pancakes and caramelised bananas!
For the full recipe with measurements, head to the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to make Pancakes with Caramelised Bananas & Homemade Nutella
To make the nutella style sauce blitz together hazelnuts, maple syrup, almond milk and cocoa powder until smooth. I used a NutriBullet to do this.
To caramelise the bananas, put caster sugar in a frying pan and when it starts to melt, add sliced bananas. When the caramel goes golden, flip the banana slices over to cover both sides in the caramel, then turn off the heat while you make the pancakes. For the pancake batter, whisk together wholemeal plain flour, plain flour, eggs and almond milk. Put a little butter into a hot frying pan, then add the batter using a ladle to measure it out. Cook on both sides until golden brown.
To serve the pancakes I folded them in half, added some of the caramelised bananas and dollops of the Nutella style sauce, then a big blob of creme fraiche (I used a half fat version) in the middle and then sprinkled over some chopped toasted hazelnuts to finish. The Pancakes with Caramelised Bananas & Homemade Nutella were absolutely delicious! The mix of sweet chocolate sauce, crunchy hazelnuts, caramel bananas and creamy creme fraiche was the perfect topping for these pancakes. We had this for breakfast on a weekend and it was quick and easy to make, with such a satisfying result! They would also make an amazing Pancake Day treat for the whole family!
Recommended Equipment and Ingredients*
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Pancake recipes...
Pancakes with Caramelised Bananas & Homemade Nutella
For the homemade 'nutella' style sauce
- 50 g Whole hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 3 tbsp Almond milk or other milk
- 1 tbsp Cocoa powder
For the caramelised bananas
- 2 Bananas sliced
- 75 g Caster sugar
For the pancakes
- 1 tsp Vegetable oil for greasing the pan
- 570 ml Almond milk or other milk
- 235 g Plain flour
- 50 g Wholemeal plain flour
- 2 Eggs large
- A handful of Chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 150 ml Creme Fraiche
- For the Nutella style sauce, in a NutriBullet blitz together the whole hazelnuts, maple syrup, almond milk and cocoa powder until smooth
- To caramelise the bananas put the caster sugar in a frying pan and put on a medium heat, when it starts to melt add the sliced up bananas. When the caramel goes golden, flip the slices over to cover both sides in the caramel, then turn off the heat while you make the pancakes
- For the pancake batter whisk together the wholemeal plain flour, plain flour, eggs and almond milk
- Heat up a frying pan on a medium heat and put the oil in to grease it, then add the pancake batter using a ladle to measure it out
- Let the pancakes cook for around 5 minutes on each side until golden
- Serve the pancakes warm, folded in half, and top with the caramelised bananas, dollops of the Nutella style sauce, creme fraiche and a sprinkling of the chopped toasted hazelnuts
If you like this, check out more of my Pancake recipes!
NB. I was sent both the NutriBullet and the Joseph Joseph Whiskle for free, all opinions are my own.