Pancake Day, or Shrove Tuesday as it is also known, is such a brilliant idea in my eyes. I mean, who doesn’t love the excuse to eat dessert for dinner?! These Chocolate Orange Pancakes are super indulgent, I’ve topped them with whipped cream, a generous drizzle of melted Terry’s Chocolate Orange and juicy orange segments. They’re also easy to make, as most pancakes are, and you can even make a batch and reheat them later. So, why wait until Pancake Day, they’d also make an amazing dessert or sweet breakfast treat any time of year!
How to make Chocolate Orange Pancakes…
I whipped up the cream first and put it in the fridge so it was ready.
To make the pancake batter I started by stirring together the flour, cocoa powder, orange zest and sugar.
In a jug I whisked together milk, vegetable oil, orange extract and egg.
I poured the milk mixture slowly into the flour mixture, stirring it as I went until a smooth batter was created.
I warmed up my frying pan on a medium heat and added a little bit of oil, then I used a ladle to spoon blobs of the pancake mixture into the pan. Once bubble started to appear on the surface, I flipped them over. This took only a couple of minutes.
I let them cook for another minute or so on the other side, then they were ready to eat!
I served the Chocolate Orange Pancakes drizzled with melted Terry’s chocolate orange, a dollop of the whipped cream, and some juicy mandarin orange segments.
The Chocolate Orange Pancakes were absolutely divine, I am such a huge fan of this combination of flavours! If you have a sweet tooth like me you will love this for a weekend breakfast treat, or you could also have it for dessert after a meal. The pancakes can be made in advance and reheated in the microwave within seconds so it’d be so quick to put together!
Recommended Equipment and Ingredients*
|Whisk||Pancake frying pan||Orange extract|
|Terry’s Chocolate Orange|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Pancake recipes…
|Pancakes with Caramelised Bananas & Homemade Nutella||Traditional English Pancakes||Oreo Pancakes|
More chocolate orange recipes…
Chocolate Orange Pancakes
For the pancake batter
- 125 g Self raising flour
- 45 g Caster sugar
- 35 g Cocoa powder
- 250 ml Milk cow's or plant milk will both work
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Egg large
- 1/2 tsp Orange extract
- 1 Orange zest only
For the toppings
- 1/2 a Terry's Chocolate Orange melted
- 150 ml Double cream
- 1/2 tbsp Icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 200 g Tinned mandarin orange segments
- Whip up the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla and put it in the fridge so it is ready to use
- To make the pancake batter stir together the flour, cocoa powder, orange zest and sugar in a mixing bowl
- In a jug whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, orange extract and egg
- Pour the milk mixture bit by bit into the flour mixture, whisk in between each addition until a smooth batter is created
- Warm up your frying pan on a medium heat and added a little bit of oil or butter, used a ladle to spoon blobs of the pancake mixture into the pan. Once bubbles start to appear on the surface, flip them over. This will take a couple of minutes
- Then let them cook for another minute or so on the other side, then they are ready to eat!
- Serve warm with the whipped cream, a drizzle of the melted chocolate and some orange segments
- If you want to save for later, allow to cool fully, and store in the fridge in an airtight container. Warm on a microwave safe plate for 30-60 seconds (depending on the wattage of your microwave). Eat within 2 days
NB. This post is NOT in anyway sponsored by Terry’s – I just love their product!
If you like this, check out more of my Pancake recipes!
Pin for later!