If you live in the UK then you know how enjoying a glass of Pimms means that summer has begun! Or at least those few days when we have a heatwave… This Pimms Trifle is a showstopping summer dessert that’s sure to impress no matter what the weather. The base layer is cake sponge, strawberries and orange in a Pimms jelly. I’ve made sure the Pimms jelly has a nice bold Pimms flavour, so you can definitely tell there’s some tipple in there, but it’s not overly strong. Then there’s the traditional custard and whipped cream on top, and I’ve decorate it with the famous Pimms fruits – orange, strawberries, mint and cucumber!
Step by step…
I sliced the cake into wedges and arranged it in the bottom of the trifle dish. Then I added the orange segments and chopped strawberries on top.
To make the Pimms jelly I put the sugar, lemonade and agar agar into a pan and brought the mixture to the boil. I let it boil for 2 minutes, then removed from the heat and stirred in the Pimms. I poured it over the fruit and cake, then put it in the fridge to set. Once it was set I added the custard, whipped cream and fruit decorations.
Tips for making the Pimms Trifle:
- The trifle dish I used is 5″ high and 8″ wide.
- As this is a vegetarian blog, I used agar agar instead of gelatine to set the jelly. I got mine from Waitrose, and you can also find it online. Gelatine is made from animals so if you use this instead, please make sure you are not serving the trifle to any vegetarians.
- You could easily make this trifle vegan by using dairy free custard (Alpro do a ready made one) and coconut cream.
- If you want to serve this to children, you use fruit juice instead of the Pimms to make the jelly, and serve the adults portions with a glass of Pimms and lemonade!
- You could also make this trifle in individual serving glasses if you prefer.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Trifle dish||Mixing bowls||Agar agar|
|Kitchen scales||Electric hand mixer||Piping bags|
|Wilton 8B Piping nozzle|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Pimms recipes…
More trifle recipes…
|Pimms Cake||Pimms Cupcakes||Creme Egg Trifle|
For the Pimms jelly
- 700 ml Lemonade
- 300 ml Pimms
- 100 g Caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Agar agar
For the rest of the trifle
- 300 g Madeira cake or sponge fingers
- 300 g Tin of mandarin orange segments drained
- 115 g Fresh strawberries chopped
- 1 litre Ready made custard
For the whipped cream
- 550 ml Double cream
- 2 tbsp Icing sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Strawberries, orange, mint leaves and cucumber
- Arrange your cake or trifle sponges into the bottom of the trifle dish
- Add the orange segments on top, and the strawberries
- To make the jelly, place the lemonade, agar agar and sugar into a pan
- Put on a high heat and stir until it starts to boil, once it starts boiling, leave it to boil for 2 minutes then remove from the heat
- Pour in the Pimms and stir in
- Pour the jelly mixture over the cake and fruit, then place the trifle in the fridge for a few hours or overnight, until the jelly has set
- Add the custard on top of the set jelly
- Whip up the double cream with the vanilla extract and icing sugar
- Pipe or spread the cream over the custard, then decorate with fresh fruit if you like
- Serve immediately, the trifle is best eaten on the day it's made, but leftovers can be stored in the fridge and enjoyed the next day too
NB. This post is NOT in any way sponsored by Pimms, I am just a fan of their product!
If you like this, check out more of my Dessert recipes!
Pin it for later!
I’m linking this recipe up with Cook Blog Share hosted by Peachick Bakery.