It may seem strange to have leftover cake, but as someone who bakes regularly I have found myself in this situation many times! In order to avoid food waste, you can quickly whip up these Three Ingredient Leftover Cake Truffles. They are made using only three ingredients: cake, cream cheese and chocolate. I've been using this recipe for years and I can't remember where I first heard about this handy trick of mixing cream cheese with cake crumbs to make tasty truffles, but I'm so glad I did!
Inside the Three Ingredient Leftover Cake Truffles is a delicious moist centre. I mean, cream cheese and cake mixed together then covered in chocolate, is that ever not going to be good?! It's dangerously easy to eat several of these in one sitting!
How to make Three Ingredient Leftover Cake Truffles...
I used a food processor to turn my leftover cake into crumbs. (This cake I used was a vanilla cake with pink food colouring.)
I mixed the cream cheese into the cake crumbs. Then I rolled the cake into balls using my hands and placed them onto a lined baking tray. I put them in the freezer for an hour.
To decorate, I melted white and dark chocolate. I removed the truffles from the freezer, I dipped them into the chocolate and coated them. I placed them onto some greaseproof paper and drizzled the alternating chocolate over them. Then I left them to set.
Reasons you will have leftover cake:
- After making a hidden design cake, like the Hidden Heart Cake that left me with these bright pink cake leftovers!
- If your cakes have domed in the oven and you've levelled them off to flatten them.
- If your cake sunk in the middle, but the edges are edible.
- If you've carved a cake into a shape or cut out shapes from a sheet of cake
Tips for making the Three Ingredient Leftover Cake Truffles:
- You can use any sponge cake to make the truffles, chocolate, vanilla, lemon... whatever you have leftover!
- Any amount of leftover cake will work too, just weigh the leftover cake, and halve that weight to work out how much cream cheese you'll need.
- You can also cover them with whichever chocolate you prefer, or you could use candy melts for a fun coloured effect!
- Another great way to decorate the truffles would be to add some sprinkles onto the chocolate before it sets.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
Three Ingredient Leftover Cake Truffles
- 420 g Leftover cake
- 210 g Full fat cream cheese
- 185 g White chocolate
- 215 g Dark chocolate
- Use a food processor to turn the cake into crumbs
- Mix the cream cheese into the cake crumbs
- Roll the cake into balls using your hands, weigh them if you like so they're all a similar size. Mine were 25g each
- Place them onto a lined baking tray. Then put them in the freezer for an hour
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Heat for 30 seconds, stir, then heat in 10 second blasts, stir and repeat until melted
- Remove the truffles from the freezer and dip them into the chocolate, coating them fully. Place them onto some greaseproof paper and to set. Use the remaining chocolate to drizzle over the truffles
- Serve immediately, store leftovers in the fridge and eat within 5 days