Muffins are usually sweet, but sometimes it's nice to have a savoury treat. Whenever I think savoury my mind immediately goes to cheese! These Cheese & Red Pepper Muffins are a perfect savoury treat, flavoured with yummy mature cheddar, italian herbs, sweet red pepper and half a juicy cherry tomato on top. They have gone down a storm at several bake sales I've taken them too, plus parties I've taken them too, even those skeptical about savoury muffins are soon won over!
For the full recipe with measurements, head to the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to make Cheese & Red Pepper Muffins
Start by mixing the plain flour, wholemeal flour, baking powder, dried mixed herbs and salt together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, milk and eggs.
Add the wet ingredient to the dry ingredients and mix together, then add the diced red pepper, and grated cheddar and mix until combined.
Put the batter into muffin cases. Then push half a cherry tomato into the top of each one and sprinkle some grated cheese on top. Bake the muffins for 25 minutes until they were risen, golden and smelling good.
If you have any questions about this recipe, or if something went wrong and you need help, please use the comment form below and I will get back to you. You can also get in touch with me on my Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. I'd love to hear from you!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
- Cupcake tin
- Mixing bowls
- Cooling rack
- Kitchen scales
- Electric hand mixer
- Brown cupcake cases
- Cheese grater
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More cheesey recipes...
Cheese & Red Pepper Muffins
For the muffins
- 300 g Plain flour
- 135 g Wholemeal flour
- 1 ¼ tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Mixed herbs I used a mix of oregano, basil, thyme, parsley, sage and marjoram
- ½ tsp Salt
- 215 ml Vegetable oil
- 230 ml Milk
- 4 Eggs large
- 1 Red pepper diced
- 100 g Mature cheddar grated
For the topping
- 9 Cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 25 g Mature cheddar grated
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line two cupcake tins with paper cases
- Mix the plain flour, wholemeal flour, baking powder, mixed herbs and salt in a bowl
- In a separate bowl whisk together the oil, milk and eggs
- Add the wet ingredient to the dry ingredients and mix in. Then add the red pepper, and the mature cheddar and mixe until combined
- Divide the batter between the cases
- Push half a cherry tomato into the top of each one and sprinkle the remaining grated cheese on top
- Bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes until they are risen and golden
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place, eat leftovers within 3 days