I was inspired to make these Sesame & Chia Seed Crackers after watching The Great British Bake Off. Before watching I hadn't thought of making crackers from scratch before, but it's actually really easy to do and by making them yourself you can customise the flavour to your own preference. I really love seeded crackers, particularly the texture and appearance. Plus chia seeds are so good for you, so it's nice to know there's something healthy in there!
Step by step...
I started by putting plain flour, baking powder, salt, chia seeds and sesame seeds into a large bowl.
Then I stirred the mixture together so the seeds were evenly spread out. Next I added the butter and rubbed the mixture together with my hands until it resembled breadcrumbs. Then I made a well in the middle and poured in the cold water.
I mixed it together until a dough was formed, I did add another small splash of water as it was slightly drier than I wanted. Then I shaped it into a ball, covered it with cling film and chilled it for 20 minutes in the fridge.
I rolled the dough out between two sheets of baking paper until it was 1-2mm thick.
I used a 6cm cutter to cut out the cracker shapes, but you can use any size or shape of cutter you like. The dough made 34 crackers. I placed the cut out crackers onto the baking trays and pricked them a few times each with a fork, I also sprinkled coarse sea salt over them. They baked for 10-15 minutes until they went golden around the edges.
I'm really pleased with how the Sesame & Chia Seed Crackers turned out. They looked great as well as being nice and thin, with a good snap to them.
Once cool, the Sesame & Chia Seed Crackers are ready to eat straight away! Crackers are so versatile, you can put cheese or paté on them, dip them in hummus, or just smear some butter or cream cheese on top. These Sesame & Chia Seed Crackers are so yummy and moreish! They won't last long!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Baking trays||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Rolling pin||Round cutters|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
Sesame & Chia Seed Crackers
- 200 g Plain flour
- 50 g Butter or baking spread
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 15 g Chia seeds
- 15 g Sesame seeds
- 80 ml Cold water
- ½ tsp Coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and line a few baking trays (or however many you own) with baking paper
- Add the plain flour, baking powder, salt, chia seeds and sesame seeds into a large mixing bowl
- Stir the mixture together with a wooden spoon so the seeds are evenly spread out
- Add the butter and rub the mixture together with your hands until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Make a well in the middle and pour in the cold water
- Mix together until a rough dough is formed. You may need to add a little more water if the mixture is too dry
- Do not over work the dough, just shape it into a ball, cover with cling film and chill for 20 minutes in the fridge
- Roll the dough out between two sheets of baking paper until it is 1-2mm thick
- Use a 6cm round cutter to cut out the cracker shapes, or you can use any size or shape of cutter you like
- Place onto the baking trays and prick the crackers a few times each with a fork. Sprinkle the coarse sea salt over them
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until they go golden around the edges. Cool on a wire cooling rack
- Store in an airtight container and eat within 5 days. Or freeze for up to 8 weeks