Although I'd happily drink Baileys all year round, it always comes out at Christmas and I think people do see it as a Christmas drink. I absolutely love baking with it as it has such a yummy creamy flavour. This Baileys Chocolate Traybake features an easy chocolate sponge that's infused with Baileys, plus some chocolate chips for extra chocolate flavour! Then I've smothered it in Baileys buttercream, which is so good I could just eat it with a spoon!! I've used Baileys truffles to decorate the traybake, which are pretty easy to get hold of in the UK. I also added some glitzy sprinkles to give it that festive look!
How to make Baileys Chocolate Traybake...
To make the sponge I mixed light brown sugar and butter together, then I added eggs and Baileys.
Then I mixed in cocoa powder, self raising flour and baking powder. I folded in chocolate chips before pouring it into a lined tin.
Once the sponge was baked and cooled I made the buttercream using butter, icing sugar and Baileys.
I chopped the Baileys truffles up to decorate the Baileys Chocolate Traybake as I think it looks so appetising when you can see the Baileys filling inside. Then I added some bronze sprinkles to make it looks more festive and fun too!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Traybake tin||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Electric hand mixer||Baileys Irish Cream|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
Tips for making the Baileys Chocolate Traybake:
- I used dark chocolate chips in the sponge, but white or milk chocolate chips would also be super yummy!
- You could try making this with some of the other Baileys flavours, like coffee or orange. Both would be delicious with the chocolate sponge.
- I used light brown sugar because it makes the chocolate sponge fudgey and divine, but caster sugar will also be ok if you want to use that instead.
- I cut the traybake into squares before adding the truffles so I could make sure each serving got an equal amount of truffle - I'm just
OCD nice like that!
More Baileys recipes...
|Chocolate Roulade with Baileys Cream||Baileys Cheesecake (No Bake)||Chocolate Guinness Cake with Baileys Buttercream|
|Baileys Cheesecake Chocolate Brownies||Baileys Creme Caramel||Baileys Chocolate Cupcakes|
Baileys Chocolate Traybake
For the sponge
- 225 g Butter or baking spread
- 225 g Light brown sugar
- 4 Eggs large
- 125 ml Baileys
- 165 g Self raising flour
- 60 g Cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp Baking powder
- 100 g Chocolate chips
For the buttercream
- 200 g Butter or baking spread
- 400 g Icing sugar
- 3 tbsp Baileys
- 12 Baileys truffles chopped up
- Sprinkles optional
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and grease and line a 12" x 9" traybake tin
- Make the sponge by mixing the butter and light brown sugar in a large bowl with a spoon until fluffy, or mix using an electric mixer
- Add the eggs and Baileys, and whisk until fully incorporated
- Add the self raising flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and whisk in until you can't see any flour anymore
- Fold in the chocolate chips with a spoon or spatula
- Pour the batter into the lined traybake tin and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a thin skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool fully
- To make the buttercream mix the butter and icing sugar together. Once it starts to come together add the Baileys and mix until smooth. I use my electric hand whisk to do this but you can also do it by hand with a spoon but it will take a lot longer
- Smooth the buttercream onto the sponge using a palette knife, then add the truffles and sprinkles to decorate
- Cut into squares to serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container in a cool place and eat within 3 days
NB. this post is NOT sponsored by Baileys - I just love their product!
If you like this, check out more of my Traybake recipes!
Pin it for later!