The Christmas season is here and I am loving it! Mostly because I made this Chocolate Roulade with Baileys Cream! I saw the fabulous Mary Berry make this at the BBC Good Food Bakes & Cakes Show back in 2014 and the whole audience was drooling. Although her original recipe doesn’t feature any Baileys, at the show she put a good glug of it into the cream and I thought it sounded delicious. When I was invited over for dinner at a friend’s house I took this over for dessert, much to everyone’s delight! It’s also naturally gluten free, so it’s a fabulous dessert for your coeliac friends too!
How to make Chocolate Roulade with Baileys Cream…
To start I whisked up the egg yolks and caster sugar until thick and creamy. Then I whisked up the egg whites until stiff peaks formed.
I added melted chocolate into the egg yolk mixture. Then I mixed in one tablespoon of the egg whites. I folded in the rest of the egg whites gently, and then the cocoa powder.
I poured the mixture into a lined baking tray. If you have a swiss roll tin you can use that, but I just used a regular baking tray. It baked for 20 minutes and I left it to cool in the tin.
When it was completely cool I whipped up the double cream with icing sugar and Baileys. I tipped the sponge out onto a piece of baking paper dusted with icing sugar. Then I spread the cream over it, leaving a little gap at the end.
I gently rolled the sponge up. It will crack, this is meant to happen and also makes a nice effect! The Chocolate Roulade with Baileys Cream is so light and delicious, the sponge has a great fudgey texture and the hit of Baileys in the cream adds festive decadence.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Swiss Roll tin||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Electric hand mixer||Stand mixer|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Baileys recipes…
|Baileys Cheesecake (No Bake)||Baileys Cheesecake Chocolate Brownies||Chocolate Guinness Cake with Baileys Buttercream|
|Baileys Chocolate Traybake||Baileys Creme Caramel||Baileys Chocolate Cupcakes|
Chocolate Roulade with Baileys Cream
For the roulade
- 175 g Dark chocolate melted
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 6 Eggs large, separated
- 2 tbsp Cocoa powder sieved
- Icing sugar to dust
For the Baileys cream
- 275 ml Double cream
- 2-3 tbsp Baileys
- 1 tbsp Icing sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and line a swiss roll tin or large baking tray with a lip with baking paper.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a glass bowl over water, or in the microwave. If melting in the microwave make sure to use a microwave safe bowl, start with a 30 second blast, stir the chocolate, then continue with 10 second blasts stirring in between until melted
- Whisk up the yolks of the eggs and the caster sugar until thick and creamy
- Use an electric food mixer or electric hand whisk to whisk up the whites from the eggs until stiff peaks form
- Whisk the melted chocolate into the egg yolk mixture
- Fold in half of the egg whites, then add the rest and fold in gently
- Finally fold in the sieved cocoa powder
- Pour the mixture into the baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes then leave to cool in the tin
- Whip up the double cream with the ciing sugar and the Baileys
- Tip the sponge out onto a piece of baking paper dusted with icing sugar and spread the cream over it, leave about a 2 cm space at one end of the sponge
- Gently roll the sponge up starting with the cream filled end, don't worry if it cracks as it is supposed to. Trim the ends with a sereated knife for a neater finish. Dust it with more icing sugar if you like
- Serve immediately, store leftovers in the fridge and eat within 2 days
If you like this, check out more of my Swiss Roll recipes!
Or check out my Christmas recipes!
Pin for later!