These Chocolate Avocado Brownies are so fudgey and delicious, you'd never know they contain avocado (unless you're the one who baked them of course!) Avocados are so nutritious and are filled with vitamins and healthy fats, they have been shown to lower cholesterol and are also full of fibre. So these brownies are a great way to sneak some goodness into
For the full recipe with measurements, head to the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to make Chocolate Avocado Brownies
Start by mashing up the avocados. You can use a stick blender to get them really smooth. Add the sugar and mix in, then stir in the melted dark chocolate. Then add the eggs and vanilla extract, and mix to combine.
Finally mix in cocoa powder, plain flour and salt. Pour the brownie batter into a lined baking pan and bake. Then leave to cool completely on a cooling rack.
To make the chocolate frosting, blend up the avocados into a smooth paste. Then add icing sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla extract, and combine until glossy and smooth. Spread it over the brownies and cut them into squares to serve.
How should the brownies be stored and can they be frozen?
They should be stored in an airtight container, or covered on a plate, in a cool place for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the brownies. Once they are fully cool, wrap them well in cling film or place them in a freezer bag, and freeze for up to 3 months.
Can the brownies be made gluten free?
For gluten free you can replace the plain flour with a gluten free plain flour blend. Please do check the labels of everything you use if you are serving this recipe to anyone with an allergy or intolerance.
If you have any questions about this recipe, or if something went wrong and you need help, please use the comment form below and I will get back to you. You can also get in touch with me on my Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. I'd love to hear from you!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
Chocolate Avocado Brownies with Chocolate Avocado Frosting
For the brownies
- 2 Ripe Avocados
- 200 g Caster sugar
- 260 g Dark chocolate
- 4 Eggs large
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 80 g Plain flour
- 30 g Cocoa powder
- ½ tsp Salt
For the frosting
- 2 Ripe Avocados
- 5 tbsp Cocoa powder
- ½ tbsp Vanilla extract
- 325 g Icing sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 160c Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Line a 12" x 9" traybake tin with baking paper
- For the brownies, mash up the avocados. Use a blender to get a smoother consistency. Then mix in the sugar
- Melt the dark chocolate and add it to the mixture
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing between each addition. Then add the vanilla extract
- Mix in the cocoa powder, flour and salt. Pour into the lined baking pan
- Bake for 30 minutes, allow to cool fully
- For the frosting, mash up the avocados. Use a blender to get the smoothest consistency
- Add the icing sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla. Spread it over the brownies and cut them into squares
If you like this, check out more of my Brownie recipes!
Brownie recipe from Fake Ginger.