When I attended the BBC Good Food Bakes & Cakes Show one year I watched Cathryn Dresser, a former Bake Off contestant, make Courgette, Linseed & Lemon Muffins on stage. I was intrigued by the idea of courgette in cake. I thought it was a great way to eat a vegetable without realising it! I've altered Cat's original recipe slightly as I wanted to make them healthier (she tops hers with buttercream) and I've also renamed them to Courgette, Flaxseed & Lemon Muffins as linseeds as more commonly known as flaxseeds. I didn't know this at first and I was very confused in the supermarket when I was looking for them! They are great for an 'on the go' breakfast or quick snack, and for sneaking vegetables into your kids diet!
For the full recipe with measurements, head to the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to make Courgette, Flaxseed & Lemon Muffins
To start, use a food processor to grate the courgette, or grate using a box grater. Squeeze as much liquid out of it with your hands as you can, then put it in a mixing bowl. Add golden caster sugar, orange zest, lemon zest, vegetable oil, eggs and yoghurt. Mix everything together. Then add flaxseeds, salt, self raising flour and wholemeal self raising flour. Mix everything together.
Put the batter into muffin cases in a tray and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool on a cooling rack.
How long do the muffins last for and can they be frozen?
The muffins will last for 2-3 days in an airtight container in a cool place. You can freeze them too, wrap the muffins well in cling film or put them in an airtight container. Freeze for up to three months.
If you have any questions about this recipe, or if something went wrong and you need help, please use the comment form below and I will get back to you. You can also get in touch with me on my Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. I'd love to hear from you!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
- Cupcake tin
- Mixing bowls
- Cooling rack
- Kitchen scales
- Electric hand mixer
- Brown cupcake cases
- Food processor
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More vegetable cake recipes...
Courgette, Flaxseed & Lemon Muffins
- 150 g Courgette grated and drained weight
- 115 g Golden caster sugar
- 1 Lemon zest only
- 1 Orange zest only
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Yoghurt
- 60 ml Vegetable Oil
- 25 g Flaxseeds (also known as linseeds)
- 100 g Self raising flour
- 50 g Wholemeal self raising flour
- A pinch of Salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and line a cupcake tin with paper cases
- Use a food processer to grate the courgette. Squeeze the water out of it with your hands then put it in a mixing bowl. Add the golden caster sugar, and the zest of the lemon and the orange
- Then add the vegetable oil, eggs and greek yoghurt. Mix everything together
- In a separate bowl measure out the flaxseeds, salt, self raising flour and wholemeal self raising flour
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together
- Divide the batter between the paper cases and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown
- Store leftovers in an airtight container and eat within 3 days, they can also be frozen for 3 months