I absolutely love carrot cake. Maybe it's because I feel like I'm getting some vegetables along with my cake! But it could also be the delicious spices and incredibly moistness of carrot cake! If you need a quick fix of those yummy flavours, I've turned carrot cake into Carrot Cake Cookies. They are packed with carrot, pecans and spices, and are so much quicker and easier to make than a full cake! The Carrot Cake Cookies are decorated with a drizzle of white chocolate and some fondant carrots.
How to make Carrot Cake Cookies
Started by mixing the butter and light brown sugar together, then add the orange zest. Next add the egg, carrots and vanilla extract, and stir them together.
Then mix in the plain flour, all of the spices and baking powder, and fold in the pecans. Spoon the mixture onto lined baking trays in little blobs.
Bake for 14 minutes until they are golden brown. To decorate, drizzle them with some melted white chocolate and add a fondant carrot shape in the centre.
How long do the cookies last for and can they be frozen?
Store the cookies in an airtight container in a cool place, they will last for 3 days. Or you can freeze the cookies. Wrap them well and freeze for up to 3 months.
Tips for making the Carrot Cake Cookies:
- I don't like walnuts so I always use pecans in carrot cake, but of course you can swap them out (or remove them entirely) depending on what you prefer.
- If you're a raisin fan, you can add some to the cookies.
- Brown sugar is best in these cookies, but you can use caster sugar or granulated sugar if you can't get hold of it.
- I used wholemeal flour for this recipe, but you can use regular white flour if you prefer.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Carrot Cake recipes...
Carrot Cake Cookies
For the cookies
- 125 g Butter or baking spread
- 200 g Light brown soft sugar
- 1 Orange zest only
- 1 Egg large
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 50 g Carrot grated
- 200 g Wholemeal plain flour or regular plain/all purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Mixed spice
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 50 g Pecans chopped finely
For decoration (optional)
- 75 g White chocolate
- 16 Fondant carrots
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and line a few baking trays (or however many you own) with baking paper
- Cream the butter and light brown sugar together in a large bowl using a spoon, then mix in the orange zest
- Add the egg and vanilla extract, and mix them in
- Then mix in the grated carrot
- Mix in the plain flour, baking powder and all three spices
- Then mix in the pecans
- Spoon blobs of the mixture onto your lined baking trays, leave space between the cookies as they will spread
- Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes until they are golden brown, leave them on the tray for 5 minutes before carefully removing and placing on racks to cool fully
- Once the cookies are fully cool drizzle the white chocolate over them, then add the fondant carrots. I like to put the melted white chocolate into a small piping bag to control the drizzle, or you can use a spoon
- Leave the chocolate to set before tucking in
- Store in an airtight container and eat within 3 days. They also be frozen