Marzipan is one of those love it or hate it foods, but if you're a lover then you'll be a fan of Simnel Cake which is traditionally served around Easter time. I've turned this famous Easter cake into these Easter Simnel Cupcakes. They're packed with dried fruit, flavoured with spice and I've hidden a ball of marzipan inside each cupcake! For extra luxury I've swirled an almond buttercream on top and another marzipan ball. They are marzipan heaven and perfect for celebrating Easter!
How to make Easter Simnel Cupcakes...
First I mixed together butter and light soft brown sugar until creamy. Then I added eggs, vanilla extract, milk and lemon extract, and mixed well.
Finally I folded in self raising flour flour, self raising wholemeal flour, mixed spice and then the dried mixed fruit.
I used golden marzipan and made 12 balls each weighing 12g.
Once I had filled the cupcake cases with half of the mixture, I pushed the balls of marzipan in. Then I put the rest of the mixture over the top. I baked them for about 20-25 minutes, until they were golden brown.
Once the cakes were cooled I whipped up some almond buttercream using icing sugar, butter and almond extract. I made 12 more balls of marzipan and browned them with a kitchen blow torch.
To decorate I piped the almond buttercream onto the Easter Simnel Cupcakes and added a browned marzipan ball on top.
The cupcake sponge was really delicious, and had just the right amount of fruit. The marzipan ball hidden in the middle is such a nice surprise, your marzipan loving friends and family will love these Easter Simnel Cupcakes!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Cupcake tin||Electric hand mixer||Piping bags|
|Brown cupcake cases||Jem 1E Piping nozzle||Wilton 2D Piping nozzle|
|Mixed spice||Kitchen blowtorch|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Simnel recipes...
|Simnel Spiced Easter Cheesecake (No Bake)||Modern Simnel Cake|
Easter Simnel Cupcakes
For the sponge
- 150 g Butter or baking spread
- 150 g Light brown sugar
- 3 Eggs large
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Lemon extract (or you can use the zest of 1 Lemon)
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 150 g Mixed dried fruit
- 1 tsp Mixed spice
- 150 g Self raising flour
- 100 g Wholemeal self raising flour
- 120 g Marzipan
For the buttercream
- 200 g Butter or baking spread
- 400 g Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Almond extract
- 120 g Marzipan
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and line a muffin tin with cupcake cases
- Divide the marzipan in 12g pieces and roll into balls using the palms of your hands, set aside
- Cream together the butter and light brown sugar, ideally using an electric mixer, until smooth and fluffy
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract, lemon extract and milk and whisk well
- Then gently whisk in the mixed spice, self raising flour and wholemeal flour
- Then fold in the mixed dried fruit
- Divide half the mixture between the 12 cupcake cases
- Add a marzipan ball into each cupcake and press in
- Then cover with the remaining mixture
- Bake them for 20 minutes or until they are golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool completely
- Make the buttercream by mixing together the butter and icing sugar, then add the almond extract, and mix until smooth. You can do this by hand or with an electric whisk. If the buttercream is too stiff then you can add some milk to it too
- Pipe the buttercream onto each cupcake using a piping bag fitted with a nozzle. Or spread on with a spoon
- To decorate, divide the marzipan in 12g pieces and roll into balls using the palms of your hands, then brown the tops with a kitchen blowtorch. Or you can place them on a foil covered tray and pop them under the grill - but keep a close eye on them!
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place, eat leftovers within 3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cupcake recipes!
Or you might like my Easter recipes!
Pin for later!