Lemon meringue pie is a classic dessert, with such a delicious zingy flavour, so I thought why not make a cupcake version! I've flavoured the sponge of these Lemon Meringue Cupcakes with tangy lemon zest, hidden a lemon curd centre inside that oozes out when you bite into it and topped them with sweet meringue. If you love lemon or anything citrus, you will dive right into these yummy Lemon Meringue Cupcakes!
How to make Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Mix together the caster sugar and butter, then add the eggs and lemon zest and whisk them in.
Fold in the self raising flour and then divide the batter into cupcake cases. Bake them for about 20 minutes until they are golden brown. Then leave to cool fully.
Using a cupcake corer, make holes in each cupcake and fill with lemon curd. Make the Italian meringue and pipe it on top of the cupcakes, then brown it with a kitchen blow torch.
What lemon curd should you use?
If you are using a shop bought lemon curd, make sure to get a good quality one. They are worth the extra pennies for that delicious lemon zing! If you fancy giving Homemade Lemon Curd a try, check out my recipe. It's easy and quick to make with only a few ingredients, it's also creamy and silky smooth, and the flavour is incredible!
More tips for making the Lemon Meringue Cupcakes:
- For the perfect meringue, make sure your mixing bowl is grease-free. You can ensure this by wiping it with some lemon juice or vinegar, then rinsing it.
- Making sure your egg whites are at room temperature will also help your meringue turn out well too.
- If you can't get hold of cream of tartar, you can use 1 tsp lemon juice or 1 tsp white vinegar instead.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
- Cupcake tin
- Cooling rack
- Electric hand mixer
- Piping bags
- Cupcake corer
- Yellow cupcake cases
- Wilton 2D Piping nozzle
- Lemon Curd
- Jem 1E Piping nozzle
- Cream of tartar
- Kitchen blowtorch
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Lemon recipes...
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
For the sponge
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 175 g Butter
- 3 Eggs large
- 2 Lemons zest only
- 175 g Self raising flour
For the filling
- 200 g Lemon curd good quality shop bought or homemade
For the italian meringue
- 2 Egg whites large
- ½ tsp Cream of tartar
- 115 g Caster sugar
- 65 ml Water
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and line a cupcake tin with paper cases
- Mix together the caster sugar and butter until smooth and fluffy, for best results use an electric mixer
- Add the eggs and lemon zest and whisk them in, again using an electric mixer if you can
- Mix in the self raising flour, this time gently and with a hand whisk, and then divide the batter between the paper cases
- Bake them for 20-25 minutes until they are golden brown and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave them to cool completely on a cooling rack
- Using a cupcake corer or a knife, make holes in each cupcake and fill with the lemon curd
- To make the Italian meringue put the caster sugar and water in a pan and let it come to the boil with the lid on. If you notice any sugar around the edges of the pan brush them away with a wet pastry brush. When the mixture boils, take it off the heat and pour the sugar syrup into a jug
- Meanwhile, in a stand mixer or using an electric whisk, whisk up the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they reach soft peak stage (foamy and they are just starting to holding their shape on the whisk but not quite)
- Then, keeping the mixer running on a low-medium speed, pour in the sugar syrup slowly. Be careful not to let the sugar syrup hit the side of the bowl. Turn the mixer speed up to high and mix until the meringue is white and shiny, and holds its shape
- Put the meringue in a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe it on top of the cupcakes. Or spread on with a spoon. Use a kitchen blowtorch to brown the meringue all over
- Serve immediately, store leftovers in the fridge and and eat within 2 days