The first time I made flapjacks I posted them to my boyfriend and my brother as surprise care package. My boyfriend described them as 'immense' at the time and having made these again recently I really agree! This flapjack recipe is so easy to follow and you'll end up with buttery oaty flapjacks with a sweet drizzle of chocolate on top - delicious! Of course flapjacks aren't the healthiest thing due to the butter and sugar, but you've got to enjoy and treat once in a while. I've snuck some sultanas and some seeds into this recipe, so there's some extra goodness in there too. They also keep for a week in an air tight container so are perfect for sending to friends and family, enjoying on picnics and road trips, and taking to work or school as a snack.
Step by step...
First I melted the butter, golden syrup and light brown sugar on a low heat until the sugar had dissolved and everything was melted.
I poured the porridge oats, linseeds and sultanas in a bowl and mixed them together. In went the melted butter and sugar, and I stirred it until the oats were all coated with the mixture.
I put the mixture into a greased and lined traybake tin and pressed it down with a silicone spatula to smooth out the top and create an even finish.
It baked on 170C/150C Fan/300F/Gas Mark 2 for 35 minutes until it was golden all over. I left it to cool completely. I used a sharp knife to cut it into squares, then drizzled the melted milk chocolate all over.
The flapjacks were so yummy and buttery, and very moreish! My boyfriend was happy to see these come out of the kitchen again!
More Flapjack recipes...
|Spiced Jammy Flapjacks||Spiced Plum Vegan Flapjacks|
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Traybake tin||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Piping bags|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
Flapjacks with Chocolate & Sultanas
- 225 g Butter
- 75 g Golden syrup
- 200 g Light brown sugar
- 400 g Porridge oats
- 2 tbsp Golden linseeds (also known as flaxseed- optional)
- 75 g Sultanas
- 50 g Milk chocolate
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 3 and line a 12" x 9" traybake tin with baking paper
- Put the butter, golden syrup and light brown sugar into a medium saucepan on a low heat until the sugar has dissolved and everything is melted. Stir it all together
- In a bowl measure out the porridge oats, linseed and sultanas, and mix them together
- Add the butter and sugar mixture to the bowl of oats and stir it in until all of the oats are fully coated
- Pour the mixture into the lined tray bake tin and use the back of a spoon or a silicone spatula to smooth it out and make it all an even layer
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until they are golden brown all over, then leave to cool in the tin
- Use a sharp knife to slice the flapjacks into squares, (or triangles, or rectangles, whichever shape you prefer!)
- Put the mix chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, then microwave in 10 second blasts, stirring between each one, until fully melted
- Put the chocolate into a small piping bag and snip the end off and drizzle it over each flapjacks. Or drizzle it over with a spoon
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place and eat leftovers within 1 week
If you like this, check out more of my Flapjack recipes!
Pin it for later!