Lemon and blueberry is one of my favourite cake flavours, and I love an easy loaf cake recipe too, so this Lemon & Blueberry Loaf Cake was born! It's a light sponge flavoured with lemon zest and packed with juicy blueberries, then I've drenched it in a zingy lemon juice icing (for flavour and because I like to use all of the lemon!) and then I've piled it high with fresh blueberries. It's a simple, yet impressive bake that is sure to go down well with any crowd!
Step by step...
To make the sponge I mixed the butter and sugar together, then mixed in the lemon zest. Then I whisked in eggs and milk.
Next I whisked in the flour, then gently folded in the blueberries. I put the mixture into a lined loaf tin and I baked it for 1 hour.
Once it was cool I made icing using the juice of the lemons and icing sugar and I drizzled it on top, then I added a big pile of fresh blueberries.
The Lemon & Blueberry Loaf Cake tastes so good! Lovely light sponge packed with juicy blueberries and a zingy lemon icing - perfection!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Loaf cake tin||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Loaf cake tin liners||Loaf cake storage box|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More lemon and blueberry recipes...
|Lemon & Blueberry Cookies||Lemon & Blueberry Blondies||Lemon & Blueberry Cupcakes|
Lemon & Blueberry Loaf Cake
For the loaf cake
- 200 g Butter or baking spread I use Stork
- 200 g Caster sugar
- 3 Lemons
- 4 Eggs large
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 225 g Self raising flour
- 150 g Blueberries
For decoration (optional)
- 150 g Icing sugar
- 50 g Blueberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and grease and line a 2lb loaf tin
- Mix together the butter and caster sugar using an electric mixer or a spoon until light and fluffy, then mix in the zest of the lemons
- Add the eggs and milk and whisk in until smooth
- Whisk in the flour until fully combined
- Toss the blueberries in a little flour to help stop them from sinking to the bottom of the cake, then gently fold the blueberries into the cake batter
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool fully
- Juice the lemons then add the juice little by little to the icing sugar until you get a pourable consistency, drizzle it all over the cake
- Pile the blueberries on top
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place and eat within 3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Loaf cake recipes!
Pin for later!