Step by step...
I started by creaming together the dark brown sugar and butter.
I then whisked in the eggs, vanilla extract and natural yoghurt. Then I folded in the plain flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger and ground cardamom.
Finally, I poured the mixture into a lined cake tin. I added blobs of Mackays Rhubarb & Ginger preserve and used a knife to swirl them around gently, I wanted there to still be sections of jam within the sponge once it was baked. I baked it for 35 minutes on 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
The Rhubarb and Ginger Jam Cake looks so pretty with the swirls of jam on top. I added a dusting of icing sugar to really define the swirls and make it look even more attractive. I could not wait to slice this up and dig in as it smelt amazing!
The Rhubarb and Ginger Jam Cake is so moist inside, and a lovely golden colour. The jam running through the cake is packed with fruity flavour, and you can really taste the ginger too. I served it with some double cream drizzled over, but I think custard would be so yummy with this cake too! If you need something to warm you on a winter's night, this cake and some hot custard would be perfect!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|8" cake tin||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Rhubarb & Ginger jam||Ground cardamom|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
- 215 g Dark brown sugar
- 85 g Butter
- 2 Eggs large
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp Natural Yoghurt
- 195 g Plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ground ginger
- ½ tsp Ground cardamom
- ½ jar Mackays Rhubarb & Ginger Jam
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4, and grease and line a 8" cake tin (that is at least 2" deep)
- Cream together the dark brown sugar and the butter
- Whisk in the eggs, vanilla extract and yoghurt
- Mix in the cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cardamom, plain flour and baking powder
- Pour the batter into the cake tin, add blobs of the jam all over the top and use a knife to gently swirl the mixture around.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean and it is golden brown all over, remove from the tin and leave to cool on a cooling rack
- When cool, dust all over with icing sugar, I recommend serving with double cream or custard!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in a cool place and eat within 3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cake recipes!
Pin for later!
This cake looks GORGEOUS Kat! Perfect combo.
Another delicious cake recipe from you! x
Absolutely gorgeous sounding cake! I love cardamom in cake - have you tried the cardamom loaf from the Hummingbird Cake Days book? Have bookmarked this one, sounds like a great Autumnal recipe!
Thanks Kim! I haven't tried the cardamom loaf no, I only recently discovered cardamom, this is literally my second recipe with it in.
Your cake looks great Kat!
your cake combines such classic flavours- I've no doubt it was a huge hit!
Thanks Kate! You just can't beat the mix of flavours!
Wow! Love this recipe. I’m already a big fan of Mackays Rhubarb and Ginger Jam, so to find this recipe really made my day. Never used Cardamom before and couldn’t find it in supermarkets,(May have been looking in the wrong place) but a well known online store that sells everything delivered me some the next day!
Will definitely use this recipe again and again. Perfectly spiced, moist cake.
I'm so happy you liked the cake Jennie! I must make this again soon myself!