Step by step...
I started by creaming together the dark brown sugar and butter.
I then whisked in the eggs, vanilla extract and natural yoghurt. Then I folded in the plain flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger and ground cardamom.
Finally, I poured the mixture into a lined cake tin. I added blobs of Mackays Rhubarb & Ginger preserve and used a knife to swirl them around gently, I wanted there to still be sections of jam within the sponge once it was baked. I baked it for 35 minutes on 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
The Rhubarb and Ginger Jam Cake looks so pretty with the swirls of jam on top. I added a dusting of icing sugar to really define the swirls and make it look even more attractive. I could not wait to slice this up and dig in as it smelt amazing!
The Rhubarb and Ginger Jam Cake is so moist inside, and a lovely golden colour. The jam running through the cake is packed with fruity flavour, and you can really taste the ginger too. I served it with some double cream drizzled over, but I think custard would be so yummy with this cake too! If you need something to warm you on a winter's night, this cake and some hot custard would be perfect!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|8" cake tin||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Rhubarb & Ginger jam||Ground cardamom|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
- 215 g Dark brown sugar
- 85 g Butter
- 2 Eggs large
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp Natural Yoghurt
- 195 g Plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ground ginger
- ½ tsp Ground cardamom
- ½ jar Mackays Rhubarb & Ginger Jam
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4, and grease and line a 8" cake tin (that is at least 2" deep)
- Cream together the dark brown sugar and the butter
- Whisk in the eggs, vanilla extract and yoghurt
- Mix in the cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cardamom, plain flour and baking powder
- Pour the batter into the cake tin, add blobs of the jam all over the top and use a knife to gently swirl the mixture around.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean and it is golden brown all over, remove from the tin and leave to cool on a cooling rack
- When cool, dust all over with icing sugar, I recommend serving with double cream or custard!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in a cool place and eat within 3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cake recipes!
Pin for later!