I’ve wanted to make Rainbow Cupcakes for SO long! I thought August was the perfect month to make them in as there are so many Pride celebrations happening, and rainbows displayed everywhere. It’s really got me into the happy colourful spirit of rainbows. The Rainbow Cupcakes sponge is flavoured with vanilla and then coloured with the six classic rainbow colours. I’ve topped them with clouds of whipped cream, marshmallows and some ‘gold coin’ sprinkles.
Step by step…
To make the sponge I started by creaming together the butter and sugar, then I whisked in the eggs and vanilla extract.
Then I added the self raising flour and whisked until smooth.
I divided the cupcake batter between 6 bowls, then coloured them each a different colour of the rainbow.
I divided each colour into the cases as evenly as I could.
They baked for 20 minutes, then I left them to cool completely.
What is the best food colouring to use?
You need to use a good quality bake stable food colouring to get those beautiful bright colours to stay vibrant after baking. I like to use Pro Gel, which I get from Amazon usually. If you scroll down there are links to the colours I used. Another good brand for food colouring is Sugarflair.
Do I have to top them with whipped cream?
I’m a huge whipped cream fan and I loved the idea of clouds of cream on top of the Rainbow Cupcakes, however if you prefer buttercream you can find a vanilla buttercream recipe in my blog post for Funfetti Vanilla Cupcakes.
As well as their fabulously colourful appearance these Rainbow Cupcakes were absolutely yummy!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Cupcake tin||Electric hand mixer||Piping bags|
|White cupcake cases||Wilton 2D Piping nozzle||Red food colouring|
|Yellow food colouring||Orange food colouring||Green food colouring|
|Purple food colouring||Blue food colouring||Vegetarian Marshmallows|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More rainbow recipes…
|Lemon Rainbow Cake|
For the cupcakes
- 175 g Butter or baking spread
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 3 Eggs large
- 175 g Self raising flour
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Red, yellow, orange, green, blue and purple food colouring I used Pro Gel
For the topping
- 300 ml Double cream
- 1 tbsp Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 50 g Marshmallows I used gelatine free vegetarian Freedom Mallows
- Gold sprinkles optional
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases
- To make the sponge, mix together the butter and sugar, using a silicone or wooden spoon, until smooth
- Add the eggs and vanila extract and whisk well
- Then whisk in the self raising flour
- Divide the mixture equally into six bowls
- Colour each bowl with the food colouring so you have bowls of red, yellow, orange, green, bue and purple cupcake batter
- Divide each colour of batter one at a time between the cupcake cases
- Bake them for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cupcakes comes out clean. Leave to cool completely
- Whip up the double cream with the icing sugar and vanilla, put into a piping bag and pipe swirls onto each cupcake, or dollop on with a spoon
- Decorate with marshmallows and gold sprinkles
- Serve immediately. Store leftovers in the fridge and eat within 2 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cupcake recipes!
Pin it for later!