Millionaire's shortbread is such a decadent and indulgent treat, I was so interested to try out a healthier version. So I've made a fully vegan, and totally tasty version of this popular dessert. They aren't that much different from the regular kind, the base is a delicious shortbread and they're covered in rich dark chocolate. The main difference is the caramel which is made from dates and maple syrup. These yummy little bites are also totally dairy free, and they can easily be adapted to be gluten free too!
These little squares of Vegan Millionaire's Shortbread are so moreish! The biscuit base is perfectly crumbly, the date caramel is unbelievably good - it's so sweet and creamy, and the dark chocolate topping compliments the sweetness perfectly. I'll definitely be making this Vegan Millionaire's Shortbread again! My taste testers thought they were absolutely delicious, and said they'd never have guessed they were vegan friendly!
How to make Vegan Millionaire's Shortbread
To make the biscuit base, mix the dairy free butter and sugar together until creamy. Then add the vanilla extract, plain flour and salt. Once they are mixed together, press the biscuit dough into the bottom of the tin and bake it for 15 minutes.
For the caramel layer, put the dates, almond milk, maple syrup, coconut oil and salt into a pan and bring it to the boil for 3 minutes. Take it off the heat, add the vanilla extract, then whizz it into a puree with a hand blender.
Smooth it on top of the biscuit base and put it into the fridge to set. For the chocolate topping, melt the dark chocolate, pour it on top of the date caramel layer and put it back in the fridge to set.
Tips for making the Vegan Millionaire's Shortbread:
- This shortbread would also be amazing topped with a dairy free white chocolate. Or you could do a feathering pattern with a mix of dark and white chocolate!
- Make these gluten free by swapping the flour our for a gluten free flour blend.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More millionaire's shortbread recipes...
Vegan Millionaire's Shortbread
For the biscuit base layer
- 100 g Dairy free spread
- 60 g Caster sugar
- 150 g Plain flour
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp Salt
For the caramel filling layer
- 350 g Dates pitted
- 125 ml Almond milk
- 25 ml Maple syrup
- 150 g Coconut oil
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
For the chocolate topping layer
- 200 g Vegan dark chocolate
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/325F/Gas Mark 3 and line a 9" square tin with baking paper
- Mix the butter and sugar together until smooth and creamy
- Mix in the vanilla
- Mix in the plain flour and salt and form the mixture into a dough
- Then press it into the bottom of the tin and bake for 15 minutes
- For the caramel layer put the dates, almond milk, maple syrup and coconut oil into a pan and bring it to the boil, let it boil for 3 minutes
- Take it off the heat and add the vanilla extract. Blend into a puree with a hand blender - be very careful as the mixture will be very hot! Smooth it on top of the biscuit base and put it back into the fridge
- For the chocolate topping melt the dark chocolate then pour it on top of the caramel layer
- Put it back in the fridge to set. Once fully set, remove from the tin and cut it into squares. Cut gently with a knife dipped in warm water to avoid the top from cracking
- Store in the fridge and eat within 1 week
If you like this, check out more of my Millionaire Shortbread recipes!
Or you might like my Vegan recipes!
NB. Filling recipe from BBC Good Food.