One of my favourites flavours to bake with after chocolate has got to be lemon. I've made these Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Curd Filling multiple times and I'm so glad I've finally got round to sharing the recipe with you! Everything about these cupcakes is lemon, from the lemon zest infused sponge, to the sweet lemon flavoured buttercream and of course the gooey lemon curd centre. I've used all yellow decorations to let everyone know that these cupcakes are all about lemon!
How to make Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Curd Filling...
I started by creaming together the butter, sugar and lemon zest. Then I added the eggs and whisked them in, then whisked in the self raising flour.
I separated the batter between 12 yellow cupcake cases in a cupcake tin. And I baked them for 20-25 minutes until they were golden brown.
Once they were fully cool I used a cupcake corer to make a hole in the middle of each cupcake. I filled the holes with lemon curd.
To make the buttercream I mixed together the icing sugar, butter and lemon extract until it was smooth. I piped it onto the cupcakes using a Wilton 2D nozzle.
I added jelly lemon slices and yellow hundred and thousands to decorate the lemon cupcakes.
These lemon cupcakes are absolute lemon heaven! The lemon curd that oozes out when you take a bite is definitely the best bit, but the light sponge and sweet buttercream are pretty darn tasty too!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Cupcake tin||Electric hand mixer||Piping bags|
|Cupcake corer||Lemon extract||Zester|
|Lemon Curd||Jem 1E Piping nozzle||Yellow cupcake cases|
|Jelly lemon slices|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More lemon recipes...
|Lemon Rainbow Cake||Triple Lemon Cake||Lemon Meringue Cupcakes|
|Lemon Curd Cheesecake||Lemon Meringue Dessert Pots||Lemon Curd & White Chocolate Bread Rolls|
|Lemon Baked Donuts||Lemon Meringue Pie|
For the sponge
- 175 g Butter
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 2 Lemons zested
- 3 Eggs large
- 175 g Self raising flour
- 200 g Lemon curd good quality shop bought or homemade
For the buttercream
- 200 g Butter or Baking spread
- 400 g Icing sugar
- 2 tsp Lemon extract
- Yellow 100s and 1000s optional
- Lemon jelly slices optional
- Pre heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a muffin tin with 12 yellow cupcake cases (if you can't find yellow ones any colour will do)
- Cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time and whisk them in throughly, then gently whisk in the self raising flour
- Separate the batter between the cupcake cases
- Bake them for 20-25 minutes until they are golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean, leave them on a cooling rack to fully cool
- Use a cupcake corer or a knife to make a hole in the middle of each cupcake
- Fill the holes with lemon curd. You can do this using a spoon or put the lemon curd into a small piping bag, snip the end off and pipe it in
- To make the buttercream mix together the icing sugar and butter using an electric hand whisk or food mixer until they start to come together, then add the lemon extract and mix until smooth
- Put the buttercream into a large piping bag fitted with a Wilton 2D nozzle, or other nozzle of your choice and pipe it onto the cupcakes
- Decorate with jelly lemon slices and yellow hundred and thousands, or any sprinkles of your choice
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place, eat leftovers within 3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cupcake recipes!
Pin for later!