Banoffee Pie is one of my favourite desserts so I just had to turn it into Banoffee Cupcakes! These delicious gooey bites include a moist banana sponge, a hidden rich caramel centre, whipped cream piped on top and decorated with a fresh banana slice and chocolate. They are yummy bites of banoffee goodness!
How to make Banoffee Cupcakes
To make the sponge mix together butter, light brown sugar and Biscoff spread. Then add eggs and mashed up bananas and mix well.
Next, fold in self raising flour and baking powder, and then divide the batter between cupcake cases in a tin.
Bake them for 20 minutes, then leave them to cool fully. Once they are cool, cut holes in the middle of the cupcakes using a cupcake corer and fill them with caramel sauce. Decorate with whipped cream, banana slices and chocolate sprinkles.
What caramel sauce should I use?
My favourite caramel sauce to use is my Homemade Caramel Sauce, it's rich, smooth and absolutely divine! You can also easily add salt to it to make it into a salted caramel sauce. If you don't want to make your own, it's quite easy nowadays to find a good quality ready made caramel (or salted caramel) sauce in the shops or online. I have used Tesco's Finest, Bonn Maman and Carnation Caramel in the past with great results.
Tips for making the Banoffee Cupcakes:
- The best bananas to use for the cupcakes are very ripe ones with brown spots on their skin.
- If you brush the banana that goes on top of the cupcakes with lemon juice, it will prevent them from going brown as quickly. Or you could decorate them with dried banana slices instead.
- If you don't want to decorate the cupcakes with whipped cream, a caramel buttercream would be delicious! There's a recipe in my Salted Caramel Cupcake post.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
- Cupcake tin
- Electric hand mixer
- Piping bags
- Cooling rack
- Cupcake corer
- Flake bar
- Biscoff spread
- Pastel blue cupcake cases
- Wilton 2D Piping nozzle
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More banoffee recipes...
For the sponge
- 85 g Butter
- 100 g Light brown sugar
- 60 g Lotus Biscoff spread optional, but recommended!
- 3 Eggs large
- 2 Bananas mashed
- 175 g Self raising flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
For the filling & decoration
- 100 g Caramel sauce good quality shop bought or homemade
- 300 ml Double cream
- 1 tbsp Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ a Cadbury's Flake bar or chocolate sprinkles
- 1 Large banana sliced
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a cupcake tin with paper cases
- To make the sponge mix together the butter, light brown sugar and Biscoff Spread in a large mixing bowl
- Add the eggs and mashed bananas and mix in
- Gently mix in the self raising flour and baking powder, and then seperate the batter into a tin lined with cupcake cases
- Bake them for 20 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean, then put on a cooling rack to cool fully
- Once they are fully cool, cut holes in the middle of the cupcakes using a cupcake corer or a small knife, and fill them with the caramel sauce
- Whip up the double cream, vanilla extract and icing sugar with an electric hand whisk, put it into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe it onto the cupcakes, or spread on with a spoon
- Bash up the flake and sprinkle it all over the whipped cream, or decorate with chocolate sprinkles
- Slice up the large banana and brush both sides of the slices with lemon juice, then push them into the cream
- Serve these cupcakes immediately, or refridgerate overnight and eat within 24 hours