I've made this Coconut and Lime Loaf Cake countless times and my friends, colleagues and family know it well and they get excited every time I bake it, as they always enjoy it. Mixing lime with coconut creates a tropical feel, so this Coconut and Lime Loaf Cake is perfect for summer time. It's also a great way to start baking with lime, especially if you've never had lime in a cake before.
Loaf cakes are very easy to make and usually require little decoration, this cake is all about the zingy citrus flavour so a sprinkling of coconut on top of this golden Coconut and Lime Loaf Cake is all you need to do. It uses a 'low and slow' bake method, which means it takes a long time on a low temperature, so be patient and you'll get great results!
How to make Coconut and Lime Loaf Cake...
To make the sponge mix together butter and caster sugar, then mix in the zest of the limes.
Add the eggs and milk and whisk in, then add the dessicated coconut and the self raising flour and fold in.
Pour the mixture into a loaf tin and bake for an hour. While it is baking, make a drizzle by mixing together caster sugar and lime juice.
As soon as the cake is done, use a thin skewer to poke holes all over it then brush the drizzle onto the hot cake, then sprinkle the top of the cake with some dessicated coconut and leave it to cool in the tin.
Tips for making the Coconut & Lime Loaf Cake:
- You need a 2lb loaf tin to make this recipe (you can test the size by seeing how much water the tin can hold, 2lb will hold about 2 litre of water). If you have a 1lb loaf tin, simply halve the ingredient amounts.
- This cake would also be really yummy using lemon or orange!
- If you like, you could decorate with a simple icing instead. Mix the lime juice with some icing sugar and drizzle all over the cake.
- Wrapped well, this cake freezes great for up to 3 months.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
- Loaf cake tin
- Mixing bowls
- Kitchen scales
- Cooling rack
- Loaf cake tin liners
- Loaf cake storage box
- Citrus juicer
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More recipes using lime...
Coconut & Lime Loaf
- 200 g Butter or baking spread
- 200 g Caster sugar
- 2 Limes
- 4 Eggs large
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 50 g Dessicated coconut Plus 1-2 tsp for sprinkling on top
- 200 g Self raising flour
- 4 tbsp Caster sugar For the drizzle
- Pre heat the oven to 150C Fan/170C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and grease and line a 2lb loaf tin
- Mix together the butter, caster sugar and the zest of the limes, using an electric mixer or a spoon, until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs and milk and whisk in until smooth, using an electric mixer or hand whisk
- Gently whisk in the dessicated coconut and the self raising flour, using a hand whisk
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for an hour, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean
- While the cake is baking, mix together the juice of the limes with the 4 tbsp caster sugar, the sugar will dissolve into the juice while the cake is baking
- When the cake is done, poke holes all over it with a thin skewer and pour the drizzle over it, a little at a time until it is all soaked into the cake, using a pastry brush helps with this
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with some dessicated coconut, then leave the cake to cool completely
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in a cool place and eat within 3 days. You can also freeze this cake if wrapped well for up to 3 months
If you like this, check out more of my Loaf cake recipes!
Recipe adapted from Be-ro