I do love a Creme Egg around Easter time, but I’ve always slightly preferred Caramel Eggs – if I have to choose that is! Last year I made Salted Caramel Egg Brownies which are still one of my favourite bakes ever. So this year I wanted to create Caramel Egg Cupcakes! The base is a chocolate sponge that’s super moist and light, I’ve filled it with a hidden caramel centre, then topped it with caramel buttercream and half of a Caramel Egg. I did think of baking a whole Caramel Egg inside the cupcake similar to my Creme Egg Cupcakes, but caramel and chocolate together can be quite intense so I went for a caramel filling instead and it does not disappoint!
Step by step…
To make the chocolate sponge I first creamed together the baking spread and caster sugar. I added the eggs and mixed them in.
Then I mixed in self raising flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
I divided the cupcake batter into cases, then I baked them on 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4 for 25 minutes.
When they were cool I used a cupcake corer to remove a section from the middle and I filled each hole with some Carnation caramel.
I made a buttercream by mixing together butter, icing sugar and caramel extract, then I piped the buttercream onto each of the cupcakes.
I topped the Caramel Egg Cupcakes with the halves of Caramel Egg.
The Caramel Egg Cupcakes were absolutely divine! I just cannot resist anything caramel!
What caramel sauce should I use?
My favourite caramel sauce to use is my Homemade Caramel Sauce, it’s rich, smooth and absolutely divine! You can also easily add salt to it to make it into a salted caramel sauce. If you don’t want to make your own, it’s quite easy nowadays to find a good quality ready made caramel (or salted caramel) sauce in the shops or online. I have used Tesco’s Finest, Bonn Maman and Carnation Caramel in the past with great results.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Cupcake tin||Electric hand mixer||Piping bags|
|Ateco 829 piping nozzle||Caramel extract||Salted Caramel Sauce|
|Caramel Eggs||Brown cupcake cases|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Caramel Egg recipes…
|Salted Caramel Egg Brownies|
Caramel Egg Cupcakes
For the sponge
- 175 g Butter or baking spread
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 3 Eggs large
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 150 g Self raising flour
- 25 g Cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
For the buttercream
- 200 g Butter or baking spread
- 400 g Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Caramel extract I used Tesco's
- 1 tsp Milk
For decoration and filling
- 160 g Caramel sauce good quality shop bought or homemade
- 6 Cadbury's Caramel Eggs cut in half
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, line a muffin tin with cupcake cases
- To make the sponge, cream together the butter and the caster sugar
- Add the eggs and milk, and whisk in
- Whisk in the self raising flour and cocoa powder
- Divide the cupcakes into 12 muffin cases and bake them for 20-25 minutes until risen and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Put them on a rack to cool completely
- When they are cool use a cupcake corer or a knife to remove a section from the middle of each cupcake
- Fill each hole with the caramel sauce
- To make the buttercream, mix together the butter and icing sugar. When it starts to come together, add the caramel extract and milk, and mix until smooth
- Pipe the buttercream onto each cupcake using a piping bag fitted with a nozzle of your choice (I used an Ateco 829) or spread on with a spoon
- Top with the halves of Caramel Egg
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place, eat leftovers within 3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cupcake recipes!
Or you might like my Easter recipes!
Pin for later!