The photos for this post were updated in February 2021. The recipe was slightly updated.
I’m going to make a big statement here… I honestly think these Salted Caramel Egg Brownies are one of the best things I’ve ever made! They are absolutely heavenly and I could eat them every day. They are divine treats for Easter, but even if it’s not Easter you can make them without the caramel eggs and they’re still amazing!
The chocolate brownie is the perfect level of gooeyness and fudgeyness, it’s filled with salted caramel sauce, and each piece is topped with half a Cadbury’s Caramel Egg that I’ve sprinkled some sea salt on. My mouth is actually watering as I type this, I’m not kidding! Go and make these Salted Caramel Egg Brownies immediately – you will not regret it!
How to make Salted Caramel Egg Brownies…
I started by melting the dark chocolate and butter together in a pan on a low heat. I let it cool for 10 minutes. In a bowl I whisked together the eggs and light brown sugar.
I added the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture, whisking constantly as I poured it in. Then I added the plain flour and whisked it in.
I poured the batter into a lined traybake tin, then added blobs of salted caramel sauce all over and swirled them around with a butter knife.
While it baked, I cut the Caramel Eggs in half and sprinkled coarse sea salt over them. I took the brownies out of the oven, pressed the eggs in, then they went back in the oven.
What caramel sauce is best to use?
My favourite caramel sauce to use is my Homemade Caramel Sauce, it’s rich, smooth and absolutely divine! You can also easily add salt to it to make it into a salted caramel sauce. If you don’t want to make your own, it’s quite easy nowadays to find a good quality ready made caramel (or salted caramel) sauce in the shops or online. I have used Tesco’s Finest, Bonn Maman and Carnation Caramel in the past with great results.
What size tin do you need to make these brownies?
My preferred tin size choice for this recipe is a 12″ x 9″ traybake style tin. However, you can also make these brownies in a 8″ or 9″ square tin. The differences will be in the baking times, and also you will need less Caramel Eggs and caramel sauce as the surface area will be smaller. Check the recipe notes for the baking times.
Tips for making the Salted Caramel Egg Brownies:
- If you don’t have light brown sugar, you can also use caster sugar.
- These brownies would also be amazing without the caramel eggs, as regular salted caramel brownies!
- For all of the answers to more questions about brownies, check out my Chocolate Brownies recipe.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More salted caramel recipes…
|Salted Caramel Cheesecake (No Bake)||Salted Caramel Cupcakes||Salted Caramel Fudge|
|Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart||Salted Caramel Cake||Salted Caramel Rocky Road|
More Caramel Egg recipes…
Salted Caramel Egg Brownies
For the brownie batter
- 350 g Dark chocolate broken into squares
- 250 g Butter or baking spread
- 250 g Light brown sugar
- 3 Eggs large
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 120 g Plain flour
For the topping
- 8 Cadbury’s Caramel Eggs cut in half (there will be one extra half for the chef!)
- 100 g Salted Caramel Sauce good quality shop bought or homemade
- 1/2 tsp Coarse sea salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4 and grease and line a 12" x 9" traybake tin (check the recipe notes if you want to make in a 8" or 9" square tin)
- Melt the dark chocolate and butter together in a pan on a low heat. When fully melted, stir together and remove from the heat. Let it cool for 10 minutes
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs and light brown sugar for 5 minutes using an electric mixer until frothy
- Add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture, whisking constantly as you pour it in
- Add the plain flour and vanilla extract. Whisk in until you can't see anymore flour
- Pour the batter into the lined tin, add small blobs of salted caramel sauce all over, swirl them into the batter gently with a butter knife
- Bake for 15 minutes. While it is baking, cut the Caramel Eggs in half and sprinkle coarse sea salt over them. There will be one extra half – the perfect snack for the chef or a nearby child!
- Take the brownies out of the oven, press the eggs into the batter, then put them back in the oven for 5-10 minutes. To check if they are done, insert a toothpick in the centre. It should come out with several crumbs on, but not be wet.
- Let the brownies cool completely in the tin before removing and slicing up (this is important to make sure the brownies set!)
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place and eat within 3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Brownie recipes!
Or you might like more of my Easter recipes!
Pin for later!