Step by step…
To make the chocolate sponge I first creamed together the baking spread and caster sugar.
I added the eggs and mixed them in.
Then I mixed in self raising flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
I divided the cupcakes into cases (I used some brown ones and some gold foil ones as I wasn’t sure which would look best!)
Then I baked them on 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4 for 25 minutes.
When they were cool I used a cupcake corer to remove a section from the middle.
I filled each hole with some Carnation caramel.
I made a buttercream by mixing together baking spread, icing sugar and vanilla extract. Then I added melted Galaxy chocolate and mixed until smooth.
I piped the buttercream onto each of the Chocolate & Caramel Golden Egg Cupcakes to resemble a nest, then placed 3 Golden Galaxy Eggs into the middle.
These Chocolate & Caramel Golden Egg Cupcakes are so decadent and indulgent! The sponge is light, the caramel is rich and the buttercream has that hint of chocolate flavour that is fully satisfied by the shimmering golden eggs. And if you don’t tell your friends and family about the caramel inside, they will get a yummy surprise when they dig in!
What caramel sauce should I use?
My favourite caramel sauce to use is my Homemade Caramel Sauce, it’s rich, smooth and absolutely divine! You can also easily add salt to it to make it into a salted caramel sauce. If you don’t want to make your own, it’s quite easy nowadays to find a good quality ready made caramel (or salted caramel) sauce in the shops or online. I have used Tesco’s Finest, Bonn Maman and Carnation Caramel in the past with great results.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Cupcake tin||Electric hand mixer||Piping bags|
|Cupcake corer||Jem 1E Piping nozzle||Brown cupcake cases|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Galaxy Golden Egg recipes…
|Galaxy Golden Egg Millionaire’s Shortbread||Simnel Spiced Easter Cheesecake|
Chocolate & Caramel Golden Egg Cupcakes
For the sponge
- 170 g Butter or Baking spread
- 170 g Caster sugar
- 3 Eggs large
- 140 g Self raising flour
- 30 g Cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
For the buttercream
- 150 g Butter or Baking spread
- 300 g Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 75 g Galaxy chocolate melted
For decoration & filling
- 160 g Caramel sauce good quality shop bought or homemade
- 2 packs of Golden Galaxy Eggs (you need 3 eggs per cupcake)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a cupcake tin with paper cases
- To make the chocolate sponge cream together the butter and the caster sugar
- Add the eggs and mix them in
- Mix in the self raising flour, cocoa powder and baking powder
- Divide the cupcakes into 12 muffin cases and bake them for 20-25 minutes
- When they are cool use a cupcake corer or a knife to remove a section from the middle of each cupcake
- Fill each hole with the Carnation caramel
- Make a buttercream by mixing together the baking spread, the icing sugar and the vanilla extract. Then add the melted Galaxy chocolate and mix until smooth
- Pipe the buttercream onto each cupcake to resemble a nest, then place 3 Golden Galaxy Eggs into the middle
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place, eat leftovers within 3 days