Step by step…
I started by mixing together caster sugar and butter. Then I added eggs and vanilla extract and whisked in.
Then I whisked in cocoa powder and self raising flour. And finally I folded in dried strawberries and chocolate chips. I divided the mixture between 12 muffin cases and baked for 20 minutes.
To decorate I melted dark chocolate and drizzled it over the muffins. Finally I sprinkled on some freeze dried strawberry.
Tips for making the Double Chocolate & Strawberry Muffins:
- To decorate the muffins with the dark chocolate, I hold the muffin on it’s side over the bowl of melted chocolate. Then I use a fork to gently flick and drizzle the chocolate over the top. If you prefer a neater finish, you can also use a piping bag.
- To stop the dried strawberries from sinking, toss them in a little flour before adding to the muffin batter.
- The muffins can be frozen without the decoration. Wrap them well, or place in a airtight container, and freeze for up to 3 months.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Cupcake tin||Electric hand mixer||Black cupcake cases|
|Freeze dried strawberries||Kitchen scales||Mixing bowls|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More muffin recipes…
|Mango & Lime Muffins||Courgette, Flaxseed & Lemon Muffins||Cheese & Red Pepper Muffins|
Double Chocolate & Strawberry Muffins
For the muffins
- 175 g Butter or baking spread
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 3 Eggs large
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 45 g Cocoa powder
- 130 g Self raising flour
- 90 g Dried strawberries
- 65 g Chocolate chips
- 60 g Dark chocolate
- 20 g Freeze dried strawberries optional
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a cupcake tin with paper cases
- Cut up the dried strawberries into smaller pieces and toss them in a little flour to coat them (this will help them stop sinking)
- Mix together the caster sugar and butter until creamy and smooth
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and whisk in
- Whisk in the cocoa powder and self raising flour
- Then gently fold in the dried strawberries and chocolate chips using a spatula or spoon
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Put them on a cooling rack to cool completely
- To decorate melt the dark chocolate and drizzle it over the muffins either using a fork or put it in a piping bag. Finally sprinkle on the freeze dried strawberry
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place and eat within 3 days
NB. I was sent the dried strawberry as a gift, all opinions are my own.
If you like this, check out more of my Muffin recipes!
Pin it for later!