Banana bread is of course, not actually bread, it's a type of cake. Some might call it a quick bread when bicarbonate of soda or baking powder is used to create the rise, but I personally would still consider it to be a type of cake. This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is made with self raising flour, however if you want to use plain flour and a rising agent you can do that too. Banana bread is such a comforting thing to bake, and there are so many customisation options such as adding chopped nuts or dried fruit. I love to add chocolate chips because for me chocolate and banana together brings back childhood memories, plus it doesn't hurt that it's delicious too!
How to make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread...
To make the Chocolate Chip Banana Bread I melted the butter then whisked it together with the light brown sugar.
I whisked in the eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Then I mashed up the banana and mixed it in.
Finally I whisked in the self raising flour, then folded in the chocolate chips. I poured the mixture into a lined loaf tin and popped it in the oven.
Once it was baked I left it to cool before slicing. However, if you like it warm then feel free to tuck in sooner!
The Chocolate Chip Banana Bread was so tasty and perfectly moist. There's something that's just so comforting about tucking into a chunky slice of banana bread! For next level enjoyment I recommend treating it like bread and spreading it with butter... you can thank me later.
Tips for making the Chocolate Chip Banana Bread:
- For the tastiest banana bread, wait till your bananas have brown spots all over them before using them in this recipe.
- The cinnamon is optional, or you could add ground ginger instead, or mixed spice.
- There are SO many customisation options with this recipe. You can swap out the chocolate chips for chopped nuts such as walnuts, or you could add dried fruit like cranberries or raisins. You could even add orange zest, or some peanut butter!
- I kept the banana bread plain without a topping, but you could drizzle it with a simple icing, add buttercream, or drizzle with melted chocolate!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Loaf cake tin||Loaf cake tin liners||Mixing bowls|
|Cooling rack||Cake tester||Loaf cake storage box|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More banana recipes...
|Banoffee Dessert Pots||Biscoff & Banana Cake||Pancakes with Caramelised Bananas|
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 3 Bananas mashed
- 125 g Light brown sugar
- 75 g Butter melted
- 2 Eggs large
- 50 ml Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Cinnamon optional
- 250 g Self raising flour
- 100 g Chocolate chips
- Pre-heat your oven to 170C/150C Fan/350F/Gas 4, and grease and line a 2lb loaf tin
- Whisk the light brown sugar and melted butter together
- Add the eggs, milk and vanilla, whisk them in
- Stir in the mashed bananas
- Add the self raising flour and cinnamon, and whisk in until you can't see any flour
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. If you're concerned it's getting too dark on top, you can cover it with foil
- Leave to cool, then slice to serve. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in a cool place and eat within 2 days. You can also freeze it
If you like this, check out more of my Loaf cake recipes!
Pin it for later!