Focaccia is one of my favourite breads as it's so versatile and so easy to make. I always get great results from this recipe and although you can top it with lots of different things, you can't ever go wrong with garlic and rosemary! It's such a classic combination which gives this Rosemary & Garlic Focaccia a delicious salty and fragrant flavour.
Step by step...
I started by roasting a large bulb of garlic. I chopped the top off, drizzle it with olive oil and sprinkled it with salt, then wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven for 1 hour.
In a large bowl I mixed the yeast, salt and strong white flour together. I added the oil and water to make a sticky dough.
Using my stand mixer with dough hook attachment I kneaded the dough for 10 minutes. I covered it and left it to rise for 1 hour.
Once I knocked it back I spread it out onto a baking tray. I mixed the garlic with rosemary, salt and butter and spread it all over the dough. After 30 minutes of proving, I baked it for 25 minutes until golden.
This is one of my favourite breads as I absolutely love the garlic topping! It's very moreish, and great for sharing with friends or dipping in oil and balsamic vinegar.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Fast action yeast||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Baking tray|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Focaccia recipes...
|Potato & Halloumi Focaccia||Tomato & Rosemary Focaccia|
Rosemary & Garlic Focaccia
For the dough
- 500 g Strong white bread flour
- 7 g Sachet fast action yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 325 ml Lukewarm water
For the garlic butter topping
- 1 tbsp Fresh rosemary Finely chopped
- 1 tsp Coarse sea salt
- 1 Large garlic bulb
- 30 g Butter
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C Fan/200C/400F/Gas Mark 6
- Slice the top off the garlic bulb, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, then wrap in foil and place in the oven on a baking tray for 1 hour
- In a large bowl, add the bread flour, yeast and salt. Make sure to add the salt and yeast on opposite sides of the bowl, then stir together
- Add the water and olive oil to the flour mixture and bring it together into a dough
- Knead by hand, or use a food mixer with the dough hook attachment, for 10 minutes
- Put the kneaded dough into an oiled bowl covered with cling film, leave it in a warm place to rise for 1 hour
- Knock the air out of the risen dough, then press it out onto a lipped baking tray (I used a Wilton Non-Stick Cookie Pan 15.25 x 10.25 Inches)
- Remove the roasted garlic cloves from the skin and mash them up with the butter, salt and rosemary
- Spread the butter mixture over the dough and leave to rise for 30 minutes
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C Fan/220C/425F/Gas Mark 7
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden
- Allow to cool, slice and serve, or serve warm. Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 days. It also freezes well
If you like this, check out more of my Bread recipes!
Pin it for later!