Focaccia is one of my favourite breads. It's so versatile, you can top it with a variety of flavours, and best of all it's the perfect bread to dip in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It is one of those breads that you can just sit and work your way through the whole loaf with a group of friends, chatting, dipping and enjoying every bite. Add some olives and a few glasses of wine and it's a perfect night! This Tomato & Rosemary Focaccia is inspired by my love of fresh aromatic rosemary and juicy sweet cherry tomatoes. I go through two punnets of little tomatoes every week - I eat them with everything! Focaccia bread is also vegan friendly as it's not made with any animal products, so everyone can enjoy this delicious bread!
Step by step...
I put the strong white bread flour, yeast, salt and fresh rosemary into a bowl. After stirring it together, I added the water and olive oil to bring the mixture together into a dough.
Using my food mixer with the dough hook attachment, I left it to knead for 10 minutes. You can also do this by hand if you prefer. I placed the kneaded dough into an oiled bowl covered with cling film and put it in a warm place to prove for 1 hour.
After the hour was up, I knocked the dough back and pressed it out onto a baking tray with a lip. I pressed the cherry tomatoes into the dough. I covered it loosely with cling film and a tea towel and left it to prove for 1 hour.
Once the hour was up I sprinkled more fresh rosemary, and some coarse sea salt over it before putting it in the oven to bake until golden.
This Tomato & Rosemary Focaccia is salty, soft and full of fresh tomato and rosemary flavour. It's perfect for dipping in olive oil and balsamic vinegar!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Baking tray||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Silicone mat||Fast action yeast|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Focaccia recipes...
|Rosemary & Garlic Focaccia||Potato & Halloumi Focaccia|
Tomato & Rosemary Focaccia
- 500 g Strong white bread flour
- 7 g Sachet fast action yeast
- 1 ½ tbsp Fresh rosemary Finely chopped, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 325 ml Lukewarm water
- 1 tsp Coarse sea salt For sprinkling
- 19 Cherry tomatoes Cut in half
- In a large bowl, add the bread flour, yeast, salt and rosemary. Make sure to add the salt and yeast on opposite sides of the bowl, then stir together
- Add the water and olive oil to the flour mixture and bring it together into a dough
- Knead by hand, or use a food mixer with the dough hook attachment, for 10 minutes
- Put the kneaded dough into an oiled bowl covered with cling film, leave it in a warm place to rise for 1 hour
- Knock the air out of the risen dough, then press it out onto a lipped baking tray (I used a Wilton Non-Stick Cookie Pan 15.25 x 10.25 Inches)
- Press the cherry tomatoes into the dough, spacing them evenly apart
- Cover with loose oiled cling film and a tea towel and leave to rise again for 1 hour
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C Fan/220C/425F/Gas Mark 7
- Before baking, sprinkled more fresh rosemary, and some coarse sea salt over the dough. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden
- Allow to cool, slice and serve, or serve warm. Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 days. It also freezes well
If you like this, check out more of my Bread recipes!
Pin for later!