Caramel and chocolate has to be one of the most indulgent combinations when it comes to desserts. I could never resist any dessert involving both of them! This Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart has a rich dark chocolate ganache filling, with a hidden layer of salted caramel underneath. I did think about doing it with a pastry base to begin with, but I have a baby now so time is not on my side, so a biscuit base it was! I do love a biscuit base and it paired so well with the caramel and chocolate filling. I’ve added a generous dollop of whipped cream for decoration too!
Step by step…
To make the base I used my food processor to whizz up the digestive biscuits into crumbs. I mixed them with the melted butter and pressed them into a loose bottomed tart tin. Then I baked it for 10 minutes.
I poured the caramel sauce into the biscuit base.
To make the ganache I melted the cream, butter and dark chocolate together then poured it over the caramel layer. It went into the fridge to set.
What caramel sauce should I use?
My favourite caramel sauce to use is my Homemade Caramel Sauce, it’s rich, smooth and absolutely divine! You can also easily add salt to it to make it into a salted caramel sauce. If you don’t want to make your own, it’s quite easy nowadays to find a good quality ready made caramel (or salted caramel) sauce in the shops or online. I have used Tesco’s Finest, Bonn Maman and Carnation Caramel in the past with great results.
I topped the Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart with some whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings. This Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart would make such a fabulous dinner party dessert! It’s so decadent and delicious!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|9″ tart tin||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Salted Caramel Sauce||Electric hand mixer|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Salted Caramel recipes…
|Salted Caramel Cheesecake (No Bake)||Salted Caramel Egg Brownies||Salted Caramel Cupcakes|
|Salted Caramel Cake||Salted Caramel Fudge||Salted Caramel Rocky Road|
Salted Caramel & Chocolate Tart
For the biscuit base
- 350 g Digestive biscuits
- 150 g Butter or baking spread
For the caramel layer
- 150 g Caramel sauce good quality shop bought or homemade
- 1/4 tsp Salt
For the chocolate ganache
- 350 g Dark chocolate
- 100 g Butter
- 250 ml Double cream
For decoration (optional)
- 150 g Double cream
- Chocolate shavings
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- To make the base use a food processor to whizz up the digestive biscuits into crumbs, or you can put them in a bowl and bash them with a rolling pin
- Mix the melted butter into the biscuit crumbs and press them into a loose bottomed 23cm/9" tart tin covering both the base and sides
- Bake the biscuit base for 10 minutes, take out and set aside to cool
- Mix the salt into the caramel (if it's not already a salted caramel sauce) and pour into the biscuit base
- To make the ganache put the double cream, dark chocolate and butter into a pan and melt together on a low heat until it becomes a rich glossy chocolate sauce
- Pour the chocolate sauce into the biscuit base over the caramel, put the tart in the fridge for at least 2 hours to set
- When ready to serve, whip up the double cream decoration and spoon onto the tart. Then use a potato peeler to grate dark chocolate shavings over the top
- Serve immediately. Store leftovers in the fridge and eat within 2 days
If you like this, check out more of my Sweet Tarts & Pies recipes!
Pin for later!
I’m linking this recipe up with Cook Blog Share hosted by A Strong Coffee, Bake of the Week hosted by Casa Costello and Mummy Mishaps, and Fiesta Fridays hosted by The Not So Creative Cook and Of Goats And Greens.