If you've not tried a savoury muffin before then you are missing out! I've made Cheese & Red Pepper Muffins before that are absolutely yummy and these Veggie Sausage, Cheese & Onion Muffins are an adaptation of that recipe. These muffins would be great for an on the go breakfast, a picnic, in lunch boxes or eaten warm on a cold night like Bonfire Night.
They are filling and delicious, and a great savoury snack anytime of year! I think sausages particularly lend themselves to Autumn time as they are so associated with cosy meals, and this is a great way to get that feeling but in a portable muffin!
How to make Veggie Sausage, Cheese & Onion Muffins...
I started by frying the onion and sausages until the onion was soft and the sausages had browned. I chopped up the cooled sausages into slices.
In a bowl I whisked together the eggs, milk and vegetable oil. In another bowl I stirred both flours, the herbs, salt and raising agents together.
I mixed the dry and wet ingredients together, then added the onion and cheese.
Then I divided the mixture between paper cases, and pushed in slices of sausage. The muffins baked for around 25 minutes until they were risen and golden.
What if you don't have any wholemeal flour?
You can replace the wholemeal flour with the same amount of regular white plain flour.
How should you serve the Veggie Sausage, Cheese & Onion Muffins?
The best way to serve the Veggie Sausage, Cheese & Onion Muffins is definitely dipped in tomato ketchup! Of course you can dip them in your favourite dip, maybe it's BBQ sauce or brown sauce, either way it's a yummy way to eat them, either warm or cold.
These Veggie Sausage, Cheese & Onion Muffins are such a moreish snack especially on a cold evening!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Cupcake tin||Brown cupcake cases||Mixing bowls|
|Cooling rack||Cheese grater|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Cheesey recipes...
|Cheese & Red Pepper Muffins||Potato & Halloumi Focaccia||Cheese & Caramelised Onion Soda Bread|
Veggie Sausage, Cheese & Onion Muffins
- 4 Vegetarian sausages I used Quorn
- 1 White onion diced
- 225 g Plain flour
- 100 g Wholemeal plain flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp Rosemary dried or fresh
- 1 tsp Salt
- 160 ml Vegetable oil
- 170 ml Milk Cow's or plant milk will both work
- 3 Eggs large
- 100 g Mature cheddar grated
- Tomato ketchup to serve
- Fry the onion till soft and the sausages till browned, set aside to cool
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a cupcake tin with paper cases
- Stir together the plain flour, wholemeal flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, rosemary and salt in a bowl
- In a separate bowl whisk together the oil, milk and eggs
- Add the wet ingredient to the dry ingredients and mix in. Then mix in the onion and mature cheddar until combined
- Chop up the sausages into slices
- Divide the batter between the cases
- Add two or three slices of sausage to each muffin, pushing them into the batter
- Bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes until they are risen and golden
- Serve dipped in tomato ketchup! Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and eat within 2 days
If you like this, check out more of my Muffin recipes!
Pin it for later!