Soda bread is a bread that is made without yeast, therefore it requires no kneading or proving. Instead the bread rises from the reaction between bicarbonate of soda and buttermilk. I've added extra flavour to create this Cheese & Caramelised Onion Soda Bread recipe which is so easy to make! If you want homemade bread but you're worried about the bread not rising, or you're just short on time, then soda bread is the ideal solution. It's so quick to make and this version is flavoured with delicious tangy and sweet caramelised onion and salty cheese, perfectly for slathering in butter!
Step by step...
I started by cooking the onion in olive oil. When it was soft I added balsamic vinegar and soft light brown sugar. I let it simmer for around 15 minutes, then set aside to cool.
In a bowl I sieved out plain flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Then I mixed the cheese and onion into the flour.
Next I added the buttermilk to the flour and brought it together to make a dough. I shaped it into a ball and cut a cross down the middle, then I topped it with some extra cheese. I baked it for 35 minutes until it was golden.
The Cheese & Caramelised Onion Soda Bread was beautifully risen and golden, and smelt amazing!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Baking trays||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Cheese grater|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
This Cheese & Caramelised Onion Soda Bread is perfect for dunking in a warm bowl of soup!
More Cheesey recipes...
|Veggie Sausage, Cheese & Onion Muffins||Potato & Halloumi Focaccia||Cheese & Red Pepper Muffins|
For the bread
- 1 White onion diced
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Light brown sugar
- 450 g Plain flour
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 300 ml Buttermilk or milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 75 g Mature cheddar cheese grated
- 25 g Mature cheddar cheese grated
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- Cook the white onion in the olive oil. When it is soft add the balsamic vinegar and light brown sugar. Let it simmer for around 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool
- Sieve the plain flour into a bowl and add the bicarbonate of soda and salt
- Mix the cheese and the onion into the flour
- Add the buttermilk to the flour and bring it together to make a dough. Work it as little as needed. Shape it into a ball on a baking tray dusted with flour and cut a cross down in the centre, cut almost to the bottom. Top with the extra cheese
- Bake the loaf for 30-40 minutes. When it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom it's done
- Cool on a rack, you can eat it warm or wait till it cools, store in an airtight container and eat within 3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Bread recipes!
Pin for later!