Step by step...
I started by peeling and chopping cooking apple into small pieces. It was about 600g of apples, but 3 large Bramley apples should do the trick. I added sultanas, light brown sugar, cinnamon, mixed spice, nutmeg and the orange zest.
I mixed it all together and spread it out into a dish. My dish is 31x21cm (12x8 inches).
For the crumble I mixed light brown sugar and plain flour together. I then added butter, cut into cubes and rubbed it with my fingers until it looked like breadcrumbs. This is quite a thick crumble topping, which is how I like it, so if you prefer a thinner layer take a third off the measurements.
I spread the crumble topping over the fruit and baked it on 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 for 45 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Serve warm with custard for a warming and spicy winter treat!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Apple cutter||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Mixed spice||Baking dish|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
For the filling
- 3 Large cooking apples about 600g
- 70 g Sultanas
- 70 g Light brown sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Mixed spice
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Orange
For the crumble
- 305g Plain flour
- 220 g Butter
- 190 g Light brown sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- Peel and chop the apples into small pieces. Add the sultanas, light brown sugar, cinnamon, mixed spice, nutmeg and the zest of the orange
- Mix it all together and spread it out into a 31x21cm (12x8 inches) dish
- For the crumble mix the light brown sugar and the plain flour together. Then add the butter, cut into cubes, and rub it with your fingers until it looks like breadcrumbs
- Spread the crumble topping over the fruit and bake it for 45 minutes until golden and bubbling
- Serve immediately